DIY Bathroom Makeover

Hello friends! Today I’m excited to show you our guest bathroom makeover. My vision for this bathroom was something calm and neutral. So we went with a light grey and stenciled accent wall. I couldn’t be happier with the way it turned out!
Bathroom Makeover
stenciled wall
For the accent wall I used the Moroccan Dream Stencil
from Cutting Edge Stencils. I’m so proud of this project because besides moving the toilet, I completed this makeover without my husband’s help. I even cut the molding to frame the mirror. This is a huge improvement for someone who, besides a screwdriver and hammer, has never touched a tool in her life up until a couple months ago.
To keep the bathroom from looking too busy I chose white towels and a simple orchid for a pop of color.
Here’s a quick before picture (excuse the horrible lighting)
So what do you think? Eventually I’ll switch out the light fixture and paint the cabinets. My question for all of you is what color? White or black? I’d love to hear some ideas.
Thanks for stopping for checking out my DIY Bathroom Makeover!

Pin It
Update: the paint color is Valspar Chromium from Lowes
Linking up to these parties
Disclosure: I received a stencil to review, no other compensation was provided. As always, all opinions are my own.

Comments

1. Amy says

Looks beautiful! You did a great job with framing the mirror too! I'm a die hard DIYer from tiling, hanging doors, sheetrock to vynal siding yet I don't touch trim work, that is always for my hubby. I think a black vanity would look really nice and contrast the white and grey.

2. Veronica and Daniel says

Wow! It looks so much brighter and bigger with the new color! I would say black cabinets. I am a newer follower – did you do a post about your stencil process? I am considering a similar stencil for a wall in my entry way… You did a super great job!

3. Shirley says

I think a white vanity would flow well with the rest of the room. A black vanity would draw everyone's eyes to it. If you want that gorgeous accent wall to be more of a focal point, I would paint the vanity white.
    -Shirley
    treeshides.blogspot.com
    theorangewindmill.etsy.com

4. Sandra says

Very nice look! Even with just the two of us now, I can't make white towels work. They're mussed in a heartbeat! Pretty though.

5. Andrea @ Decorating Cents says

Very pretty. I love stenciled walls…did one in my dining room recently. I think painting the cabinet dark would really pop.

6. Teresa@Magazine Your Home says

You did a lovely job, it looks so fresh and light. I definitely vote for white on the vanity!

7. amy and jesse hudson says

Crystal, I love this bathroom! It feels so clean, fresh, and chic too! I would love for you to consider linking this to my very first link party tomorrow at my blog Sugar and Spice. The link party is called Drab to Fab, and this would be perfect to link! You can link as many as you want. Here's a link to see more about it:

Hope to see you tomorrow morning!

8. Katie says

WOW I'm loving the stenciled wall. This is something I want to do to our bathroom this year. Frame the mirror and stencil the wall… and change out the builder grade light! lol. Your bathroom looks amazing!

9. Sheryll And Critters. says

Oh how beautiful. I have been eying that very same stencil and considering it for one wall of my bedroom… only thinking a light bluish gray and white for the stencil as well. Oh, only paint the cabinet white. That is safer if you decide to change colors or repaint the walls, it is easier to paint walls than the cabinets. Plus I think the stencil should be your focal point.

10. D @ The Shady Porch says

Visiting from Simply Designing…loved your wreath and stencil projects and wanted to invite you to link up at my party too!

11. Becca says

WOW! Your bathroom is stunning! I'd love it if you'd stop by my blog and link up this project. I host a Home and Family Friday linky party each Friday. I hope you'll come link up to the party!

becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

Becca

12. WhisperWood Cottage says

Gorgeous transformation! I absolutely love the colors!! The stencil and mirror frame look amazing. Thanks for linking up to the 1st Project of the Year Party!

13. Amy {All In A Day} says

Your bathroom looks AWESOME!!! Nice work! You have definitely inspired me to frame out some of the mirrors in our bathrooms! Nice work! xoxo

14. Miriam says

Absolutely gorgeous. The stencil is awesome, and the colors are so clean and nice. I would never leave the bathroom :)

15. my meller says

I'm so jealous! I am trying to convince my husband to let me stencil in my craftroom, and he is being difficult. I am going to keep at him, because I just love the way it looks!

16. Netties Expressions says

Came here from the Check Me Out Saturday party. Love, love the stenciling job you did! Maybe someday I can try this.

17. Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com says

This is beautiful! I love the stenciling.. its gorg! And very calming too. :)

I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party going on now :)

18. Kyle-Michelle-Kaylie says

so pretty! with all the lightness of the room i would sand and restain the cabinets to be more of a cooler brown, not the warmer red, like a mix of dark walnut and ebony. that would be so pretty! (its what i did on mine haha)

19. Rhonda says

Love the stencil and the grey – what color paint did you use? I'm excited to see that your stencil worked well on textured walls. I've been afraid to try it because of that, but now I know it can be done!

Visiting from TT&J's feature~

Rhonda @ home.made.

20. forever fancy says

Wow! You did an amazing job! Visiting from the ECE linky party. I love the stencil work and the color. I vote for white cabinets so your wall remains the focal point.

21. Michelle {Daydream Believers} says

Very nice job! I recently re-styled our bathroom in white and grey; I'm loving how clean and fresh it feels! :)

22. Two Sides of the Rainbow says

Beautiful job! I love the look of espresso finished cabinets in an otherwise neutral colored bathroom. Found your blog on Sumo's Sweet Stuff : )

23. Megan says

Hellooooo fabulous! what a great before and AFTER! :) beautiful job! thanks for linking up and sharing on Make it Monday!

I'll be featuring it on the Brassy Apple FB page :)

24. Olga@Stardust-Decor&Style says

This is so nice! I'm so jealous that you do something like stenciling in your bathrooms! Here in Greece, we only have tiles all over the bathrooms from head to toes! LOL!
    Love, Olga
    P.S.: visiting from Sugar Bee Crafts

25. Olga@Stardust-Decor&Style says

I like it so much every time I see you guys stenciling your bathrooms! I wish I could that, but here in Greece the bathrooms are tiled. Tiles all over, from head to toes! LOL!
    Love, Olga
    P.S.: visiting from Sugar Bee Crafts

26. Kelly says

New follower :) I was also featured on TT&J room reveals! Love your bathroom makeover. I'd love for you to stop by and say hi!

Kelly
    livelaughrowe.com

27. b3hd says

Not sure if my comment went through (got an error message).

In a nutshell: pinned, tweeted, facebooked and loved.
    newest follower.

28. Alison @ Oopsey Daisy says

WOW!!! :) Crystal, this is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the stencil, and those colors! The pop of yellow is just perfect with the light gray! Just tweeted this…. thanks for linking up to Oopsey Daisy!

29. Heidi says

WOW! What a gorgeous transformation! It seriously looks like something you'd see in a magazine!!! GREAT before & after! Thanks for sharing & linking up to Craft Monkey'n Monday!

30. Maria @ Craft Crazy Mom says

It is beautiful and I'm 100% jealous of your bathroom! Guess it's time for me to invest in a stencil for our walls. New follower:)

31. Sherika Lovett Alston says

AHH-AMAZING!! I have the same stencil and it is still in the box! Great inspiration, awesome makeover!!

32. Shavonda says

SOOOOOO pretty. I love the stenciling. I think you should go with black for your cabinets for sure. Or maybe if your into it you could go with a charcoal grey. I think something darker will look amazing against to cool toned walls and crisp stencil. Great Job!!

33. Chef in Training says

Wow! Your bathroom is GORGEOUS! I LOVE it and how happy and bright it looks! I would love it if you would link this up to the Tuesday Talent Show this Tuesday at Chef in Training! I hope to see you next Tuesday!
    -Nikki
    Chef in Training

34. Jocelyn says

I love love love that stenciled accent wall!!! You did an awesome job on changing that room big time!!! And gray and white…so relaxing!!! Thanks for sharing on Trick or Treat Tuesday!!!

35. Six Sisters says

Very cute! The stencil looks great!! We are so glad that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We hope you will come back next Saturday and share another idea! -The Sisters

36. Joy @ Thrifty Parsonage Living says

What a great transformation! The bathroom looks gorgeous! What color gray did you use on the walls? I vote for black on the cabinets.

37. Jodie says

This is so cute. I have a small powder bath that I've been wanting to spruce up. This could work. Hope all is well with your and your family! :)

38. I'm Busy Procrastinating says

The stencils and colors you chose are perfect! I think I would go with white on the cabinet. You can continually change your accent colors with a neutral background!

39. Carolyn says

I love your stenciled wall, and I especially love the color. I’ve been looking for a similar gray. Would you mind sharing what brand/ shade it is? Thanks!

Always amazed at the comments on AT. The room looks great and of course lighting played a factor but really the paint & stencil made a major difference! Lighting alone wouldn’t have had the same transformative effect!

This is so beautiful! I love light, cool colors in bathrooms (icy blue, light gray, etc.) because I think they help things feel crisp and fresh. And congrats on cutting the molding yourself! I don’t think I’m brave enough to attempt that. :) I love that you transformed your bathroom in a way that is simple yet sophisticated. Good for you! (And don’t let the negative nellies of the world get you down.)

42. Kaci says

You probably all ready posted this, but I couldn’t find it. What paint color did you use?
    I love the clean, bright look.