Home Office Organization

Today I would like to show you my home office. Unfortunately I don’t have a spare room to convert into an office/craft room, forcing me to get creative with our space. We are currently in the process of making an office/craft space in our master bedroom but I have yet to find a desk that fits my needs. In the meantime I’ve set up a nice little office space in the kitchen that helps keep my whole family organized. This is where I read emails, blog, fill out paper work, and craft.

To make the space colorful I have a framed fabric covered cork board that I use for notes. My son also uses this when he has a school form for me to fill out. He knows that if it’s pinned I’ll see it and won’t misplace it, then have the teacher call me to ask if he can go on a field trip because he’s the only student who hasn’t turned his permission slip in. Not that that’s ever happened….

This X-ACTO Spira pencil sharpener is a new addition to my office space. We usually have the small dollar sharpeners that seem to always get misplaced. This is very frustrating when my son needs to sharpen a pencil to do his homework and it’s nowhere to be found. Well, the other day I printed this $3 off coupon, packed the kids up, and headed to Walmart to purchased an electric pencil sharpener. You can see more pictures on Google + but here I am shopping with my favorite 7 month old. Look at all those curls! This little boy melts my heart. :)

We now have an amazing sharpener that is both sleek and functional. The best part is that this baby is staying put, no more looking for lost sharpeners during homework time! Not only am I happy to have this sharpener for my son’s homework but it’s come in handy for me as well. You see I’m a list maker and note taker kind of gal. About 99% of the time you’ll find handwritten notes in my kitchen, room, and car. My husband will tell ya that I get most of my craft ideas while I’m out and about. I keep a pencil and notepad in my purse at all times. I’ll have to show you a picture of my random scribblings someday. I think you’ll find them comical. :)

The print on the magazine holders is so simple and modern, just my style! I found the holders and tray for a dollar each. I like when I find cute and inexpensive storage containers. The dry erase calendar I found for 50 cents. Here’s a little secret…I used a removable mounting square to hold the dry erase board up. That way when I need to plug in the sharpener I can just take it down, then put it back up to hide the plug.

Another way I stay organized, especially during tax season is by keeping folders and files. Throughout the year I keep our important tax information filed in a folder. I keep the W-2s, 1099s, blog information, receipts, and miscellaneous papers labeled. This makes it easy for me to keep track of receipts and paperwork that we will need come tax time. This is also when my note taking goes into overdrive. I’m constantly writing and erasing notes on forms. I’m going to definitely get some good use out of my new sharpener this weekend when I do our taxes.

How do you keep track of paper work, especially during tax season? If you have limited space like me, how do you stay organized?

Be sure to check out
Elmer’s on twitter
X-ACTO on facebook
and here’s a link to the coupon I used

This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. #CBias #XACTO

Comments

1. MamaTim says

Hi dearie, I'm a new follower and admit enjoy reading your entries. This is definitely a favourite of mine. I'm not as neat and organised as you're but I manage nicely even when kept super-busy. Made a sizeable hole in middle of the cover of an empty shoe-box so that I can tuck all receipts/bills into the box – for tax purpose of course.

2. momto8 says

your space is way organized!! I am organized too…life is to busy not to be!!! i love your tray! the print really does pull everything together nicely!
    i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

3. Victoria says

Came over from Beneath my Heart to see your bathroom remodel! Love that gorgeous stenciled wall!

I also like your office area…esp those file folders and tray. Will you share where you found them or were they at Walmart?

4. Claire says

I love the fabric on your cork board – it's a gorgeous pop of colour! It's so nice to come up with a system that works for you when there are so many choices. Great tip about the removable whiteboard calendar. I'll never let an outlet stop me again!

5. jmmonroe says

Hey I think your little space is quite nice-At one point my laundry room had a counter and that was my office and craft space and my wrapping space etc. Now I travel full time with my new fiance and I have a accordian style file folder that is fabric (plastic one's crack easily. I make a weekly financial plan on a legal pad have my folder divided in months file all of my receipts and end of each week put in my weekly plan what bills I pd with amounts, ck #'s etc. I also use my planner by month and write in when bills are due and then I use a colored coded system for things-green dots pay day, yellow for laundry, pink for personal and fufilling stuff. I have an envelop for my fiance's weekly allowance and mine- that is it 1 accordian file, 2 envelops, ck book, pen, pencil, calculator, planner, stamps, envelops and a easy method that works perfect.

6. Alison @ Oopsey Daisy says

I love the gray! It's a perfect color for organization! I so need an area like this. You've inspired me to get organized! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

7. A Lived in Home says

Such a cute space! Where oh where did you find the tray, folders, and magazine holders? Were they at Wal Mart as well? That print would go great in my office! I love being organized! Great job on the board too. What a fun fabric! I'm a new follower!

8. Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista says

Great space, I love the cups of pencils and pens, it just begs for creativity to flow (and be recorded).

9. Inspired By Felicity says

Love this – I am your newest follower. Would like to invite you to come by my new "Get Inspired Monday" blog hop next week and link this up!

-pamela, InspiredByFelicity.blogspot.com

10. Heidi of Operation Organization says

Looks great! You've done a wonderful job finding a space for everything in simple compact space!

11. Chantelle @ The Fridge Door Blog says

Thanks for the inspiration!

Would you mind if I used your photo (and obviously link up to you) for a series I'm starting on How To Be Organised?

Thanks,
    Chantelle x

12. Shantalle@lifestylesofthestayathomemom.com says

Looks great! You lured me with my fav word 'organization'! Haven't missed a link yet ;)

13. Sherry says

Great job on organizing! I found you on Delightfully Inspiring and I'm now following you. I would appreciate it if you could do the same.

14. cathhasablog@gmail.com says

Where on earth did you find those file holders and the magazine file? I have been looking for pretty office supplies everywhere and haven't found anything! Your blog is lovely…I'm your newest follower and I look forward to your future posts! :) Cath

Home is Where my Heart is

15. Kate @ A Creative Cookie says

Love this! So cute! I currently don't have enough space for crafting (for my blog), so I have a small table in the corner of my room that I use. I also recently bought a $.32 paper poster board that I use as a photo background for my projects! It works great!

16. Ruth says

Love this little space you have. It looks so organized and neat. Everything is right where you need it. Looks great.
    Ruth

17. Rhiannon says

Oh, I love the pattern on the tray and organisers! Such a neat and pretty area. My craft/blog area is also in the kitchen! To have a room for it all would be awesome, but then I probably wouldn't need to be so creative with my storage!

18. Six Sisters says

Thanks for the great ideas in getting organized! The corkboard is so cute! We loved having you link up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back! -The Sisters

19. The Stuff of Success says

I love your tips and tricks! I am stopping in from thesoutherninstitute blog hop. I am your newest Linky Follower from TheStuffofSuccess. Feel free to linkup to the Success U party going on right now. Thanks and have a great week – Athena

20. Carrie @ My Favorite Finds says

I just pinned this idea for the fabric cork board. Cute color scheme, too. I'm glad to see you are on Linky Tools, also. Following you there now, too!