DIY Chalkboard Menu

Hi guys! Sorry I haven’t been around all week. The weather has been absolutely beautiful and I couldn’t resist taking a little blogging break to enjoy it with the kids. I hope you’ll understand. :)

But today I’m finally showing you my new chalkboard menu. I’ve wanted to make one for nearly two years now and just got around to it this week. I got the idea from my crafty neighbor (hi Haeley!). She’s awesome and always has the cutest ideas. I wish you could see her house, it’s gorgeous! She has the best sense of style. But anyway she had this idea to make a chalkboard for her daughter using these laser cut wooden frames from Micheal’s. I thought it was brilliant!

I made my chalkboard menu using chalkboard vinyl. I love love love this stuff! Have you used it? It’s quickly become my favorite craft product.

After giving it two coats of paint I traced the inner circle onto the back of the chalkboard vinyl. I then added about a half an inch and cut it out. I added a little more to ensure there weren’t any noticeable spaces between the chalkboard vinyl and frame.

To finish it off I cut out some vinyl lettering with my Silhouette Cameo.

Now here’s where I would like to say everything went perfectly and my new chalkboard menu worked great…but my textured walls turned it into a craft fail! When I wrote on it the words looked hideous and the vinyl wouldn’t lay straight. So I put it on my refrigerator! I actually like it so much better now. I used double sided mounting squares to apply the frame. It’s not where I imagined having a chalkboard but it’s fun and different. :)

Thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful weekend my friends!

Linking up to these parties, TCB, My Repurposed Life, Home Stories A2Z

Comments

It is always nice to take a little break to spend time outside & re-energize! I am such a fan of this idea and have been seeing the Silhouette’s everywhere recently. I cannot think of a cooler gift for a blogger :) Thanks for another great idea Crystal.

LOVE it! I havent worked with chalkboard vinyl yet but I so want to. Where did you purchase the frame of your menu from? It’s beautiful! I also LOVE the look of the blog…very nice :)

What a great idea. I would love if you linked up to my link party “Show Off Mondays @ Kampen Lane Design”. Cant wait to see what you create next.

kampenlane.com

~Taylor

Hi Crystal,
    I love your chalkboard! I have not used chalkboard vinyl yet but now I want some, today actually…lol. I love the frame and the colors you used as well.
    I also love that you told us it didn’t go perfectly and what you did about it. I don’t like everything I set out to do…in fact, I have one this week that is cute but not really up to the quality I would post. I am still trying to come up with a creative way to post it. lol. {I wouldn’t bother normally but I have promised in other posts that it is coming soon…haha!!! smooth huh? lol}
    Anyways, I am visiting from the craft-o-maniac linky party & I am a new fan :)
    Thank you for sharing!
    see you again soon :)
    amber

Looks so cute! Great find at Michael’s. We loved having you link up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” Please join us again next week! Thanks! -The Sisters

6. Haylee says

I love it, yours turned out great :) I can’t wait to get crafty with you this summer and thanks for mentioning me

So smart to add it your refrigerator! I can’t tell you how many times my projects start great in my head and end up taking a whole new turn along the way! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

8. Becky says

Love this project…good job! I was wondering…if one wanted to put it on a “smooth” surface, why couldn’t one put it on masonite board, and then put the frame on top of the M. board….it’s pretty darned thin and very smooth…in fact I have just painted the chalk board paint on those boards and has worked out great…just a thought…also helpful for people like me that do not have a Cameo..just a Cricut…BTW…do you know of anyone on Etsy that you can order vinyl letters in whatever you want to say since I don’t have access to that?
    Blessings!