School Supply Cake

I’m trying to ignore the fact that Summer vacation for my son is halfway over, I just love having him home everyday! Back to school really is right around the corner for us and I’m starting to notice the displays of school supplies at stores. Every year as soon as I see the displays I squeal with joy. I don’t know what it is about school supplies but I love buying them every year.

Do you remember picking out a new backpack, pencils, crayons, and enough glue sticks to last you all year? I remember going to the store with my mom and sisters to pick out our items, I always wanted the Lisa Franks supplies. But what I also remember are the years when my mom struggled to provide us with all the clothes and supplies we needed for the new school year. My father passed away when I was four and raising three girls alone wasn’t always financially easy for my mother. At the time I didn’t really understand why I couldn’t always get new supplies like most of the kids in my class. Or why I had to use my old pair of shoes and couldn’t get Sketchers like every other girl. Although those memories weren’t the best I try not to dwell on those hard times and instead use them as a way to teach my children the importance of giving back.

Earlier this year I learned about the Elmer’s Bag It Forward program and I knew right away that I wanted to participate. I also wanted to tell you about it and encourage you to take part of this small act that can make a big difference in a child’s life. Another way you can help is by checking out the Elmer’s 1st Day app. You can find a QR code on the back to school display that will take you right to the download page or find it in the app store.

The app is free and you can use it to capture memories of you child, whether it be their first day, their first sleepover, or soccer game. Every time you upload a picture Elmer’s will donate a school supply to the Kids in Need Foundation. Elmer’s has partnered with the Kids in Need Foundation to help ensure every child has the chance to succeed by providing them with necessary school supplies. We all take pictures of our kids on the first day of school right?  This really is the easiest way to help a child have the right tools to learn.

Right now is the best time to purchase school supplies for a fraction of the normal cost. Walmart has their Elmer’s Glue Sticks for 10 cents! You can also find 10 cent notebooks and folders. You can see all the deals I found on Google+. If you need any donation ideas check out my top ten back-to-school supplies here.

Knowing me I had to create something with this donation. I’ve been pinning a lot of crafty back-to-school inspiration and knew I wanted to make a school supply cake. I’ll have a tutorial for it soon, promise! It’s going to be my son’s teacher gift this upcoming school year. I know the students are provided with supplies at school but I thought this “cake” would be great for the teacher to give to students who are unable to purchase these items at home.

I also made a bag of supplies for a sweet little girl who means a lot to me. Her mother is currently unemployed and I know things are hard on them right now. I wanted to buy some necessary back to school supplies to help ease the financial stress off of her mother. I’m taking her to pick out a new backpack and lunch box next week. She’s doesn’t know about the supplies yet so it’ll be a surprise. My kids know and they’re so excited to give them to her, I’m afraid they’ll spill the beans. :)

The Bag It Forward program means a lot to me and I highly encourage you to participate. It can be a small donation of pencils, glue, paper, and a folder that will make a big impact to a child in need. If you write about it please send me a link, I’d love to help promote your post.

To learn more about the Bag It Forward program please visit Elmer’s on
Linking up to these parties, TCB

I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study forCollective Bias™ and Elmer’s #BagItForward #CBias

SO CUTE! I was thinking of making a school supply cake for a back to school gift for each of my kids teachers so I’ll be on the lookout for your tutorial!

2. Dawn G says

I am a teacher and I can honestly say that a present like this would be a wonderful gift for my students. Parents usually forget about the time the second semester begins that students have used up/lost their school supplies. Since the great deals are no longer around, parents don’t replenish their supplies. Unfortunately, someone has to do it, almost always out of my personal funds. This would help save some time and money!

What a stunning way to help your son’s teacher! I love that you took advantage of the Back To School supply prices to share such generous gifts with those in need! Thank you so much for helping to spread the word about this important effort!

This is so cute – any teacher would be thrilled to receive this. I am stopping in from TheStuffofSuccess. Feel free to stop on by and say hello. I am also your newest follower. Have a great week. Athena

I love this idea! I used to love going back to school shopping with my mom, too. It was the one time of year where I got to spend quality time with mom shopping. We never had much money when I was a kid, so this was a real treat. Wonderful teacher gift!

Oh my goodness Crystal, what a blessing these donations will be to the teacher and students! Thank you for making an impact! P.S.- I *loved* Lisa Frank too! :)

• says

Hi Monica,

Thank you for the sweet comment. Giving back is a big part of our family and I love getting creative with our donations. p.s. Lisa Frank rocked! :)

I loved the supply cake when I first saw it and loved it even more when I read the great cause you are supporting. Every child deserves the opportunity to learn and not worry if they have the tools they need to do it.

I found you at iheartaptime and I am just blown away. That is the coolest thing. Can you tell I’m a teacher and I LOVE LOVE LOVE school supplies?????

9. Donna says

I love this! Teachers will appreciate the time and effort that parents put into thinking of them and putting the cake together!

10. Melissa Hungria says

Hello! I came to your site via your link from 36th Avenue. I’m a first grade teacher and I love this supply cake! I’d love to make this cake for my first graders to take a picture with on the first day of school. I work in a school where the majority of kids come from poverty, and we participate in the Kids in Need program. It is fabulous!!! It is basically like a teacher’s candy store, is the best way to describe it. We get two days of the school year to go “shopping” for FREE school supplies, because many of our students don’t bring school supplies. It’s a humbling experience. Thanks for sharing, and I’m so happy to see about the Elmer’s app!

11. Amanda says

Hi!! What a cute idea. I think this would be a great gift for teachers-any chance you have put up a tutorial to show how you made it?

1. […] ticket punches and nesting pennants dies. I used the pennant die to create the ABC banner for the school supply cake I made last week. You get 6 different pennant sizes and the best part is it makes slits for you to […]

2. […] weeks ago I mentioned the Bag It Forward program and Elmer’s 1st Day app when I shared my school supply cake.  Today I would like to take a moment to spotlight the app and how you can help a child in need. […]