Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
The cooler weather has left me craving warm, comfort foods and a big snuggly blanket. Lately we’ve made soup and casseroles at least twice a week for dinner. Some days I make a big pot of soup to enjoy throughout the day. Lunch and dinner made in one pot? Yes, please! Warming up with a big bowl of soup is definitely one of the positives of having chilly weather. One of our all-time favorite soup recipes is this chicken tortilla soup.
THE BEST CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
This soup is made with shredded chicken, bell peppers, onion, garlic, chili powder, corn, black beans tomatoes and cilantro. We like to keep the ingredients on hand for an easy homemade meal. That’s one of the great things about cans – I can usually look through my pantry and throw everything together into a soup. Especially on those rainy days when I don’t feel like braving the weather for a trip to the grocery store. I can usually depend on my stock to fix this soup quickly. Having a ready stock of cans for our favorite soup recipes makes homemade easy with little prep time involved. For this recipe we’ve used SW black beans and tomatoes. If you can find fire roasted tomatoes those are what we prefer, but basic canned tomatoes will do.
We like to garnish our soup with fresh lime juices, avocados, and shredded monterey jack or mexican cheese. Then of course we add in tortilla chips. You could technically make the soup with tortillas but we prefer to use tortillas chips instead.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn or 1 can of corn;drained
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 boneless chicken breast shredded
- tortilla chips
- monterey jack cheese
- green onions
- In a large pot sauté onion, garlic, bell peppers with olive oil.
- Add in chili powder, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add corn, beans, chicken, and cilantro; simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh lime juice, chopped cilantro, avocado, green onions, and monetary jack cheese.