Now that it’s officially Fall I’m ready for all things pumpkin! Pumpkin recipes, desserts, soups, pumpkin decorating, and pumpkin patch visits. Today I’m sharing an easy pumpkin spice cupcake recipe topped with pumpkin spice maple frosting.
Here in central California we usually get a pretty late fall, I’m talking about sometimes high 90s at the end of October..not cool. On Saturday mother nature was kind to us with low 70 degree weather. There was even a light drizzle and chilly breeze. It was pure bliss. The smell of rain on my morning run reminded me of chilly fall days cuddling up on the couch with a good movie and a pumpkin dessert. Luckily I had these maple-pecan pumpkin spice cupcakes waiting for me at home. I know, I know very counterproductive but I did wait until after lunch. That makes it OK, right?
The cupcakes were left over from a Fall party we hosted on Friday night. Our neighbors, my best friend and her daughter came over and we had a blast! I’ll share pictures soon. I kept it simple with easy fall desserts like these cupcakes. They were inspired by a sweet potato cupcake recipe in one of my favorite magazines, Celebrate. I knew I had to give them try especially with the maple frosting. This pumpkin cupcake recipe starts with a spice cake mix, it’s filled with puree pumpkin, chopped pecans, then topped with a pumpkin pie spice maple buttercream frosting that is to die for. The cupcakes are great but the frosting, oh the frosting is a must try! I could eat it with a spoon straight from my stand mixer.
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Maple Pecan Frosting
Maple-Pecan Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup whole buttermilk
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- For the Spice Maple Buttercream
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5-6 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together pumpkin puree, buttermilk, oil, and eggs. Slowly add in spice cake mix. Whisk together until well combined.
- Use a cookie or ice cream scoop to evenly distribute batter into cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool for 5 minutes then transfer to wire cooling racks.
- Once cooled frost with Spice Maple Buttercream.
- *For the frosting:
- In a stand mixer or large bowl beat cream cheese and softened butter until creamy. Gradually add maple syrup.
- Add pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Slowly add confectioners sugar one cup at a time. Beat until smooth.
- Pipe cupcakes and top with chopped pecans.
The chopped pecans give a great texture, the maple frosting with pumpkin pie spice complement the pumpkin and pecans well. I foresee myself baking these cupcakes a lot over the next few months!
More fall recipe inspiration…