How to make Popsicle Stick American Flags – easy patriotic craft idea for kids!
With the kids out of school for summer it’s been a challenge keeping them entertained throughout the day. The weather has been around 102-106 so we’re not getting a lot of outdoor time during the day. We’re also trying to limit our iPad, TV, and computer time to a minimum so I’ve been finding ways to keep them busy. I started thinking back on activities I used to make with my eldest son when he was younger that I can now make with my almost 4 and 6 year olds. Back when I first started blogging many years ago I shared a popsicle stick flag craft that we made for the Fourth of July. Today I’m sharing an updated tutorial on how to a make popsicle flag with kids.
Popsicle Stick Flag
- Red, white, and blue paint
- Popsicle sticks
- Painters tape
- Thick cardstock
How to make popsicle stick flags
- Paint popsicle sticks red and white. The kids applied two coats on the front and one on the back. Allow paint to dry completely before next step.
- Use painter’s tape to create a rectangle for the blue section of the flag. Apply 1-2 coats of blue paint
- Glue popsicle sticks onto a piece of cardstock. We cut our cardstock to 2.75×4 inches. Let the glue dry before next step.
- Add rhinestone stars to your flag. We found the mini stars and large star rhinestones at Hobby Lobby.
- Glue ribbon around a large popsicle. For this step I used a hot glue gun (not recommended for kids) to cover the front and sides of the stick – be very careful with this step to avoid hot glue burns. Then glue the stick to the back of the flag.
This was a great craft idea for my younger two. They’re at an age where they want to paint anything and everything. These mini flags are great for parades and decorating your walkway. We made several extras that we placed in succulent planters on our porch. The others will be proudly waved during the Fourth of July parade in a few weeks.
More ideas you may like:
I love your popsicle stick flags, they turned out really cute. All your crafts and Fourth of July decorations are beautiful.