Pumpkin Spice Muddy Buddies make a great fall dessert for Fall parties, as Halloween treats, and picnics at the pumpkin patch! This muddy buddies recipe, also known as puppy chow, is filled with pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin spice M&M’s.
This recipe is perfect for Fall! We made it twice in September and I plan to make another batch next week for our trip to the pumpkin patch. We usually have a picnic out in the farm surrounded by corn mazes, wild flowers, and of course pumpkins! It’s a beautiful sight and to be honest one of biggest things I look forward to every year. I have close to 1,000 pictures from our pumpkin patch visits over the years. It’s definitely a tradition I want to remember forever! Over the years we’ve taken pumpkin muffins, pumpkin doughnuts, and even mini pumpkin pies. This year I think pumpkin spice muddy buddies will be the perfect treat to enjoy on our picnic.
I’ve been a little obsessed with muddy buddies lately. It’s a dangerous obsession! Especially since they’re so easy to make and one of my kids favorite treat. We adapt the recipe to every seasonal flavor we can and may or may not have already tried a few Christmas batches..oops! I think I first heard of muddy buddies on Jon & Kate plus 8. I remember Kate shaking a bag full of cereal with chocolate, powdered sugar and peanut butter inside. Yes, I religiously watched the show from their first documentary to the last episode! Were you a fan? Even though I only have a fraction of the kids she does I am far from being as organized as she is. I could definitely use her routine and planning skills!
I made note on the recipe card that if you prefer a stronger cinnamon flavor use cinnamon chex instead of the plain rice chex. Also, reduce the pumpkin pie spice to 2 teaspoons. If using plain rice chex add two teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice then increase by a teaspoon or two to achieve desired pumpkin spice flavor.
Pumpkin Spice Muddy Buddies
- 7 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp butter
- 3-4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Melt butter and white chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave, stir until well combined.
- Pour half of the melted white chocolate and 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice onto the cereal, mix then pour the remaining chocolate and pumpkin pie spice. Continue stirring until Chex cereal is evenly coated.
- Coat cereal with powdered sugar. I start with 1 cup of powdered sugar and slowly add another 1/2 cup if desired.
- Spread onto a wax paper lined baking sheet, allow cereal to set.
For more Fall recipes try