On Sunday the kids and I went blueberry picking for the first time. We drove out to an organic farm for a fun little festival they had going on. There we walked down the fields picking as many blueberries as we could. My daughter claimed she wasn’t eating the blueberries in her basket but her pretty dress begged to differ. After a long afternoon I was happy to come home with a couple pounds worth of handpicked blueberries to create new recipes with. The recipe at the top of my list was homemade strawberry blueberry jam.
I have always been intimidated by making jam, the process seems so long and overwhelming. It’s one of those things that I’m perfectly happy receiving as a gift then to actually make. But with thew new Ball Automatic Jam and Jelly Maker homemade jam can be an easy process with very little work involved. Since I’m new to canning I was happy to learn that Kmart carries a full line of canning products for everyone from beginner level to busy folks who wish they had more time to can. Some of the products you’ll find in-store and online at Kmart.com are mason jars, citric acid, the Ball Discovery Canning Kit, pectin and food mixes.
The new Ball Automatic Jam and Jelly Maker helped me make strawberry blueberry jam in less than 30 minutes with minimal work on my part. This machine does all the work for you, the stirring, warming, everything! All I had to do was add in the pectin, crushed berries, 1/2 tsp. of butter, and press the jam button. The timer automatically set for 21 minutes. After 4 minutes I heard a beeping noise that let me know it was time to add in the sugar. Once I slowly incorporated the sugar I put the lid on, walked away and enjoyed the sweet aroma of warm berries traveling throughout the house. Once the timer went off I poured the jam into warm mason jars and let it cool for 30 minutes.
I’m giving one to my mother, one to my mother-in-law, and another to my neighbor. I saved a jar for myself and already used a spoonful on my toast this morning. I’ve never tried strawberry blueberry jam before but the combo sounded great and I’m glad the recipe didn’t disappoint. This homemade strawberry blueberry jam recipe it my new favorite and I’m sure I’ll be making it a lot this Summer while the berries are in season. If you try it out I’d love to know what you think!
Homemade Strawberry-Blueberry Jam
- 2 cups crushed strawberries
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- 3 tablespoons Ball® RealFruit™ Classic Pectin
- 3 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- Wash strawberries in cool, running water and drain. Remove stems and hulls. Crush berries one layer at a time using a potato masher. Measure required quantity of crushed berries and remaining ingredients for your recipe; set aside.
- Sprinkle pectin evenly over bottom of the pot fitted with the stirrer. Add crushed strawberries evenly over pectin. Add butter/margarine to help reduce foaming.
- Press jam button – the cook time will automatically default to 21 minutes. Press enter.
- Wait 4 minutes for appliance to sound 4 short beeps indicating that it is time to add sugar. Add sugar gradually while stirrer continues running. Place the glass lid on the pot.
- The Ball Jam & Jelly maker will continue to automatically stir your ingredients while it cooks. Stay within earshot of the Jam & Jelly Maker, the appliance will beep again at the end of the process signaling jam cooking is complete. Press cancel, unplug the appliance and immediately remove glass Lid.
- Remove stirrer using a pot holder. Skim foam, if necessary, from top of jam.
- Preserve jam immediately.