How to make a birthday cake jar candle. Birthday cake scented soy wax candles made in a jar and decorated with adhesive vinyl sprinkles.
This post is sponsored by Expressions Vinyl.
DIY Birthday Cake Jar Candle
Making your own soy candles is very easy to do. It’s simply a matter of melting soy wax flakes and adding in your favorite essential oils or fragrance oil. Colorant can also be added to dye your candle wax. Use a mason jar or recycled glass jar to make the candles and decorate with adhesive vinyl. Adding a gift tag makes this an easy handmade gift to give family and friends.
This post contains affiliate links
- Soy Candle Wax
- Mason jar
- Candle wick
- Birthday Cake fragrance oil
- Adhesive vinyl in bright colors
- Cutting machine or sprinkle punch
- Glitter washi tape
Printable Happy Birthday gift tag
Quick video tutorial on how to make candles
How to make soy candles
- Glue candle wick inside the center of the jar.
- Melt about 1 pound of soy candle wax per pint size mason jar candle in a large microwave-safe Pyrex cup or candle double boiler. Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of fragrance oil.
- Pour melted candle wax to the top of the jar. Use a skewer or pencil to wrap the end of the candle wick around to hold in place (see video above). Allow candle to set for a few hours, preferably overnight.
- Trim excess wick to ¼-inch.
- Decorate candle jar with adhesive vinyl sprinkles.
- Add printable Happy Birthday gift tag.
I used my Cricut machine and a sprinkles design from the design store. I then resized the shape to around 4.5 x 5.5 before cutting with pink, teal, purple and yellow vinyl. Another great option is to use a sprinkles punch or a hole punch to resemble confetti. To apply the vinyl sprinkles, use transfer tape or apply by hand like stickers. I started out using transfer tape to cover the majority of the surface, then individually added different colors to fill in gaps. Optional: add glitter washi tape around the jar lid and tie on a printable tag.
Super cute idea! Great gift for a friend or teacher, or just as a happy birthday to yourself. Visiting from BFF Party.