How to make a birthday cake jar candle. Birthday cake scented soy wax candles made in a jar and decorated with adhesive vinyl sprinkles.
This post is sponsored by Expressions Vinyl.
Making your own soy candles is very easy to do. It’s simply a matter of melting soy wax flakes and adding in your favorite essential oils or fragrance oil. Colorant can also be added to dye your candle wax. Use a mason jar or recycled glass jar to make the candles and decorate with adhesive vinyl. Adding a gift tag makes this an easy handmade gift to give family and friends.
This post contains affiliate links
- Soy Candle Wax
- Mason jar
- Candle wick
- Birthday Cake fragrance oil
- Adhesive vinyl in bright colors
- Cutting machine or sprinkle punch
- Glitter washi tape
Quick video tutorial on how to make candles
How to make soy candles
- Glue candle wick inside the center of the jar.
- Melt about 1 pound of soy candle wax per pint size mason jar candle in a large microwave-safe Pyrex cup or candle double boiler. Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of fragrance oil.
- Pour melted candle wax to the top of the jar. Use a skewer or pencil to wrap the end of the candle wick around to hold in place (see video above). Allow candle to set for a few hours, preferably overnight.
- Trim excess wick to ¼-inch.
- Decorate candle jar with adhesive vinyl sprinkles.
- Add printable Happy Birthday gift tag.
I used my Cricut machine and a sprinkles design from the design store. I then resized the shape to around 4.5 x 5.5 before cutting with pink, teal, purple and yellow vinyl. Another great option is to use a sprinkles punch or a hole punch to resemble confetti. To apply the vinyl sprinkles, use transfer tape or apply by hand like stickers. I started out using transfer tape to cover the majority of the surface, then individually added different colors to fill in gaps. Optional: add glitter washi tape around the jar lid and tie on a printable tag.