Gluten-free OREO balls recipe made with only 3 ingredients! This easy no-bake treat is always a party favorite. It’s a delicious, chocolatey rich, and incredibly easy treat you can make with kids. Now you can make this simple dessert recipe allergy-friendly with gluten-free OREO cookies, cream cheese, and chocolate.
I was over the moon when Oreo announced their new gluten-free cookies. I can now enjoy the oreo ball truffles I make for the kids by using this new gluten-free version.
This easy treat has always been a crowd-pleaser when we host parties. They’re the first to go and people are often surprised by how easy they are to make. Today I’m going to share how to make oreo truffles from scratch.
What do you need to make these delicious bite-size treats? Simple ingredients like crushed up Oreo cookies, softened cream cheese, and melting chocolate. That’s it – a few ingredients and the end result is spectacular.
Ingredients for gluten-free Oreo truffles
- Gluten-free OREO cookies – use regular gluten-free Oreo cookies, not the double stuffed.
- Cream cheese – this recipe is made with regular full fat cream cheese.
- Chocolate melting wafers – my preference is Ghirardelli dark chocolate wafers, but you can also use almond bark or Wilton candy melts.
Use your favorite chocolate for dipping – milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate. The double chocolate is our favorite, but the white chocolate contrasts the rich chocolate flavor of the Oreo ball perfectly.
How to make OREO Balls (VIDEO)
- Crush OREO cookies in a food processor or plastic bag and rolling pin. Use the whole Oreo cookie including the white filling. Pulse the cookies in a food processor until finely crumbled.
- Mix in softened cream cheese at room temperature into the crushed cookies. A stand mixer or hand mixer works best, but a spatula may also be used. Fully incorporate the cream cheese into the cookie crumbs until cream cheese is no longer visible.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a cookie scoop to make uniformed sized truffles. Roll into balls and freeze for 15 minutes. This step is important to avoid a mess when dipping.
- Melt the chocolate wafers according to package directions. Dip the cold Oreo balls into the chocolate using a fork and spoon. I find the easiest method is to scoop the chocolate over the truffle and shake off the excess. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.
- Decorate with melted chocolate and OREO crumbs. Note: set aside 2 cookies from the recipe to make Oreo crumbs for decorating.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Do Oreo balls need to be refrigerated?
Yes, store them in the refrigerator until 30 minutes before serving.
How to store OREO balls
Place the oreo ball truffles in an airtight container and chill until ready to serve. They can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or freeze for 2 months.
Tips for making gluten-free Oreo truffles
- A small cookie scoop is a great tool for making 1-inch Oreo ball truffles.
- Melting wafers work best for this recipe. The consistency is thin enough for an even coat. You can use regular chocolate chips if needed, but they may not have the best dipping consistency and might require coconut oil to thin out.
- Use a toothpick to slide the Oreo truffle off the fork onto the parchment paper.
- If you notice the bottom start to crumble into the melted chocolate, pop them back in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Decorate the gluten-free oreo balls with sprinkles, chopped nuts, or oreo cookie crumbs.
Holiday OREO Balls
Gluten-Free Oreo Balls
- 36 Oreo cookies gluten-free
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 16 oz chocolate milk, white, or dark chocolate
- Place Oreo cookies in a food processor and pulse until fine cookie crumbs.
- Mix in softened cream cheese until well combined.
- Scoop into 1-inch balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place the oreo balls in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl according to package directions.
- Dip the frozen oreo ball in the melted chocolate, shake off excess, and place on the baking sheet. Allow the chocolate to set before adding chocolate drizzle with remaining chocolate and a piping bag. Sprinkle with Oreo cookie crumbs.
- Refrigerate the Oreo balls for at least an hour. Keep them stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 2 months.