Homemade peppermint lip balm – great under $5 gift idea and stocking stuffer.
DIY Peppermint Lip Balm
Happy Friday, my friends! I hope you have some fun (or relaxing) plans for the weekend. We’re finally getting pretty leaves on the trees here and I’m trying to take in these beautiful, cool November days. We’ll be spending the weekend outdoors and working on holiday crafts on Sunday. The kids are also really getting into the holiday spirit. Well, with the exception of my oldest who is clearly not okay with all the Christmas festivities before Thanksgiving. :) However, he’s my peppermint lover so I’ve been buttering him up with Ghirardelli peppermint bark squares – his favorite! Speaking of peppermint, let’s talk about this lip balm, shall we?
I’m a lip balm addict. I’m one of those people who use it religiously all day long. So when I started making my own lip balm earlier this year I knew it would only feed my obsession. Making your own lip balm is so much easier than you think. Once you have the necessary ingredients (which you’ll have tons leftover for other recipes) you can make any flavor your heart desires. I often get asked where I purchase my supplies for handmade scrubs, soaps, and beauty products..the most affordable is hands down Amazon. You can find coconut oil at most grocery stores but I buy everything else on Amazon (I’ve added affiliate links to the exact products I used). For this homemade lip balm recipe I’m using shea butter, coconut oil, beeswax, sweet almond oil, and peppermint essential oil. The oils and shea butter will moisturize lips and leave them feeling silky smooth. This is a great recipe for the cold winter months ahead. It makes about 10 lip balm tubes so you’ll have plenty to give friends and family this holiday season.
How to make Peppermint Lip Balm
- Shea Butter
- BEESWAX Pellets
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Peppermint Oil
- Lip Balm Tubes
Coconut Oil – you can find it at Target or at the grocery store
Homemade Peppermint Lip Balm
- 1 tablespoon shea butter
- 1 tablespoon almond oil
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 10-15 drops peppermint essential oil
- Melt almond oil, beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil over low heat in a double boiler. I used a large pyrex measuring cup as the double boiler and with a small amount of water in the pot.
- Add the shea butter until melted (adding the shea butter last will help prevent it from getting grainy once it has cooled).
- Remove from heat; stir in peppermint essential oil.
- Immediately pour into lip balm tubes. Allow to cool before adding caps. Cool for 24 hours or overnight. Add label with glue stick or adhesive tape runner.
For more DIY beauty gift ideas try: