A rich and creamy chocolate mousse layered with Oreo crumbs.
Happy Monday, my friends! Today I’m sharing an easy chocolate mousse recipe. At a blogging event a few years ago I had my first taste of chocolate mousse. Don’t ask me why it took me so long to try it because I’m still questioning it myself. I’ve never been a big fan of pudding, custard, or desserts with a creamy texture therefore mousse wasn’t even on my dessert radar. The dinner at this blog event was delicious, the mousse that followed for dessert was absolutely delectable. It was a thick, rich and creamy mousse that still makes my mouth water to this day. I can’t even remember the name of the restaurant we were at but next time I’m in the LA area I’m determined to find my way back for another taste. After craving something chocolate with a light texture I made my own version of chocolate mousse. I’ve recently tried different variations and this is my favorite so far. The best part is there’s only 5 ingredients needed to make this chocolate mousse!
For the chocolate mousse I’ve used Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate. You can find this in the baking aisle at Target. The chocolate is mixed with egg yolks, vanilla extract and heavy cream once melted. Meanwhile the egg whites are whisked with heavy cream and sugar to create a light and fluffy whipped cream. The combination results in a decadent chocolate mousse that’s sure to satisfy your chocolate craving. The hard part is waiting 4-6 hours for the mousse to set. Bummer, I know, but trust me the texture is ten times better the longer you wait! FYI I shot these pictures after refrigerating for only an hour..ooops! But hey if you’re a blogger you know how important it is to photograph in good sunlight. Eventually these went back into the refrigerator until after dinner. I wish I would’ve gotten a picture to show you how much of a difference the extra time chilling made with the texture of the mousse.
Oreo Chocolate Mousse
- 6 oz Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream divided,
- 4 large eggs divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 6 Oreos crushed
- Over a double boiler melt chocolate on low heat.
- Once melted remove chocolate from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Whisk 1 cup of heavy cream and vanilla into the chocolate. Then whisk egg yolks, individually, into the chocolate mixture. Make sure you’re constantly whisking and only adding one egg yolk at a time to avoiding cooking the eggs from the temperature of the chocolate.
- In a stand mixer or with an electric mixer whisk together egg whites, sugar, and 1/2 cup heavy cream until small peaks form.
- Whisk 1/2 of whipped cream into chocolate. Fold in remaining whipped cream until well combined.
- Firmly press 2 tablespoons of crushed Oreos into serving dish.
- Use a piping bag to fill cups with chocolate mousse.
- Refrigerate for 4-6 hours. Garnish with crushed Oreos.