Last year we took a trip to Maui to celebrate our anniversary. I shared a little about our stay HERE. At the time we thought it would be best if we waited until the kids were a little older to take them. Once we were there I kept thinking about how much the kids would enjoy exploring the island. Needless to say, we can’t wait to go back and take the kids with us this time around. One of my favorite things to do while were there for a week was to explore local restaurants. We tried to find something new every day, but we did revisit our favorites a couple times. Some of my favorite foods included macadamia nut banana pancakes, Loco Moco, banana bread and pulled pork nachos. The local Hawaiian food inspired me to create these slow-cooker pulled pork sliders with pineapple salsa.Hawaiian Foods Week is June 11-17th and we’re getting in the spirit with some Hawaiian treats. National Hawaiian Foods week honors Hawaii’s contributions to the culinary heritage of the United States. Hawaii’s cuisine is characterized by a unique fusion of favors from French Polynesia, China, Japan, Portugal, Korea, the Philippines, Puerto Rico Samoa and others. If you’re following me on snapchat or Instagram you know that we like to have themed weeks during the summer to keep us busy. Next week our theme is Hawaii – we’ll have Hawaiian treats, crafts and activities. I’ll share more on that later!The key to making the pulled pork is to let it simmer in the slow cooker for 8-10 hours. It makes the pulled pork tender and easy to shred before adding the BBQ sauce. We used the Smoked Bacon BBQ sauce from King’s Hawaiian and it was a big hit! We also used the King’s Hawaiian Sweet Rolls for the sliders. It made the sliders the perfect combination of sweet and smoky flavor.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sliders
- 4-5 pound pork roast
- 2 small yellow onions sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups BBQ sauce
- For the pineapple salsa:
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple chopped
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- 1 jalepeno pepper chopped
- 3 tablespoons cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the sliced onions and minced garlic at the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour chicken brother over the top.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, chili powder, salt, pepper, and cumin. Rub over the pork roast. Place roast in slow cooker and set on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker and shred using forks. Combine with BBQ sauce and keep warm until ready to serve.
- For the Salsa:
- Combine ingredients in a bowl. Squeeze lime over the salsa. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut buns in half and toast for 5 minutes. Fill with pulled pork and salsa.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.