Put a spin on your traditional lasagna recipe by creating individual lasagna roll ups filled with layers of a spicy Italian sausage sauce, cheese, and pasta.
Since becoming a stay at home mom and working from home I’ve changed my meals quite a bit. Before I would rely on picking up something on my lunch break. Now I purposely plan meals that can be stored for future lunches. I like to create meals that can easily be frozen and warmed up individually. This helps keep me focused on my meal plan, without the temptation to grab something on the go.
Besides pizza my son absolutely loves lasagna. I don’t know what it is but it’s been one of his favorite foods since he was a toddler. He’s my pickiest eater, always has been, but I know when I’m making lasagna that he won’t have a single complaint about dinner. This boy could eat an entire pan if I’d let him. Considering he likes it so much I’m constantly trying to change things up. I have a few recipes i switch back and forth from and this lasagna roll ups recipe happens to be one of my favorites.
What I like about this recipe is the convenience. The roll ups are easy to wrap individually then pop in the microwave for lunch, especially on busy days running back and forth between schools. To make this meal easier I rely on the convenience and great taste of Barilla pasta and sauces. I picked up my Barilla lasagna noodles and traditional flavor pasta sauce at Safeway. Safeway currently has a promotion where you get $1 off when you purchase one pasta sauce and box of noodles. You can also find more recipes and deals by following Barilla on facebook.
Lasagna Roll Ups
Spicy Italian Sausage Lasagna Roll Ups
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 1 tsp salt
- 16 ounces spicy Italian sausage
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 jar Barilla sauce
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg beaten
- 10 ounces frozen spinach thawed and squeezed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese separated
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add teaspoon of salt and cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and lay noodles down on baking sheet.
- SautÃ© minced garlic and onion in olive oil. Add spicy Italian sausage and cook thoroughly. Stir in sauce and heat until warm.
- In a medium bowl combine ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, egg, garlic, spinach, salt and pepper.
- Spray 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and add a thin layer of sauce to the bottom.
- Spread ricotta cheese mixture evenly onto each lasagna noodle. Top with a layer of the Italian sausage sauce and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Roll the noodles up and place into prepared pan. Top the lasagna noodles with the remaining sauce and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.