Sweet and spicy mixed nuts – The perfect blend of sweetness made with brown sugar and cinnamon combined with spicy cayenne pepper using Planter’s Deluxe Nut mix.
With the holidays upon us it’s time for gathering with friends and family to enjoy this festive season. We have our last holiday party to attend this weekend, which really helps put things in perspective. As much as I’m looking forward to a new year, I’m also hoping time will slow down so that we can enjoy the season amidst the holiday craziness. With holiday parties in mind I’ve been brainstorming what gifts to make this year. I’ve always enjoyed making small hostess gifts and even party favors for guests to take home from our own holiday parties. This year one of the treats I’ll be giving to friends is sweet and spicy mixed nuts.
This recipe has a bit of a kick to it, so if you don’t particularly care for spicy foods you can decrease the amount of cayenne pepper used in the recipe. The spiced nuts have a nice balance of sweetness from the brown sugar and cinnamon, then cayenne pepper blends the flavors together.
Sweet and Spicy Mixed Nuts
Sweet and Spicy Mixed Nuts
- 4 cups Planter’s Mixed Nuts lightly salted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper; coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine nuts, salt, black pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon.
- Heat sugar, water, and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once butter is melted remove from heat and pour over mixed nuts. Stir to coat.
- Place nuts on prepared baking sheet; spread into single layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Stir nuts and roast for another 5 minutes.
- Cool before serving.
I’m using Planters Deluxe Mix nuts for this recipe. Planters Cashews and Planters Deluxe Mixed Nuts make holiday party entertaining simple and easy. Using the lightly salted deluxe nut mix was the best way to get a variety of nut flavors into this sweet and spicy recipe without spending a fortune on individual nut packages.If you’re hosting a small party with friends, like a Friendsgiving or ugly sweater party, you can display the spiced nuts on a small bar with a variety of flavors that guests can choose from. Have cellophane bags or mini containers ready for great to fill with their favorite flavors. You could add candied almonds and chocolate covered cashews with your sweet and spicy mixed nuts. I’ve also made printable gift tags in case you would like to give these as gifts.
What are some of your favorite nuts recipes? Do you prefer sweet, spicy or a blend of both flavors?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.