Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! OK not really, but my kitchen sure did smell like Christmas today. I don’t mean to push Halloween and Thanksgiving aside, but this recipe for Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes makes me excited for the upcoming Christmas season. I was literally *this* close to turning on the Christmas music this afternoon. Then my husband reminded me that I’m behind on making the little one’s Halloween costume and I snapped back to reality.

Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes

The reason behind the cupcakes is to celebrate my husband. I don’t share details about him often but if there’s one thing you should know it’s that he’s an incredibly hard worker that always puts our family first. Two days ago he interviewed for a higher position at work and yesterday we found out he’s being promoted. Him working in law enforcement is hard on our family, we don’t always get to see him during holidays and our schedules are a complete mess most weeks. My husband works long hours to provide for us, all while driving almost an hour away on his days off to finish graduate school. I am so incredibly lucky to have such a wonderful husband, who also happens to be an incredible father to our children. I wanted to celebrate him for everything he does for our family everyday. This evening we went out to dinner then came home and enjoyed a chocolate peppermint cupcake.

Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes

We loved the cupcakes, especially the kids!

For this recipe I tried the new Cool Whip chocolate frosting. Have you tried it yet? It has a great light and fluffy consistency that’s the perfect substitute to homemade frosting. I love homemade frosting but  I’ll admit sometimes I like something quick and easy. I found it while shopping at Walmart in the freezer aisle right next to the original Cool Whip. They have a vanilla and cream cheese flavor too. I can’t wait to try the cream cheese next!

Chocolate Peppermint Cupcake Recipe

Chocolate Peppermint Cupcake Recipe:

1 box Betty Crocker triple chocolate cake mix

3 eggs

1 1/4 cup water

1/2 cup oil

1tsp peppermint extract

1 cup Andes peppermint crunch

Frosting:

Cool Whip Chocolate Frosting

Andes peppermint crunch

Ghirardelli Peppermint bark

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill muffin pan with cupcake liners. Mix eggs, water, oil, and cake mix together. Add peppermint extract to batter and mix thoroughly. Fill pan and bake for 18-20 minutes; allow to cool. Fill pastry bag with COOL WHIP frosting and pipe onto cupcakes. Top with peppermint crunch and bark if desired. Serve immediately or store in freezer until ready to eat.

This was my first time trying the recipe, I may try a tablespoon of peppermint extract next time to increase the flavor. I also recommend frosting the cupcakes right before serving or keeping them in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Want to see more #CoolWhipFrosting recipes? Check out this Pinterest board.

There’s also a coupon available right now to save on Cool Whip Frosting!

Chocolate Peppermint Cupcake Recipe

Thanks for stopping by!

Linking up to these parties, TCB, Tip Junkie

I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This content has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Kraft Cool Whip.  #CoolWhipFrosting #CBias #SocialFabric

Comments

The chocolate cool whip frosting was my favorite out of the three. Reminded me of a frosty:-) Your cupcakes looks so delicious and I am happy to see you went Christmasy on them!!! I keep wanting to break out the holiday recipes but I have been waiting.

I love this cupcake! I love peppermint, this really gets me in the mood for Christmas! I loved this post too! Sounds like a great guy you’ve got there! I hope he loved his cupcakes!

3. Crystal says

Absolutely yummy! What a sweet thing to treat your husband. I am definately going to try this recipe. Peppermint and chocolate is one of my favorite things.

4. Susan says

I must try these immediately – they look fabulous! I can’t tell you how much I LOVE the new Cool Whip frostings. I stocked up my freezer (with 11) because I’m afraid they’ll stop making them. They, hands down, beat ALL the frosting recipes I have tried over the years. And the convenience is a huge plus.

Those look so good I can taste it! I would love it if you would share these on Super Sweet Saturday at swtboutique.blogspot.com. We have lot’s of cupcakes over there ; )
    Have a great weekend!
    Steph

Oh. My. Gosh!! These look amazing! I’m such a sucker for anything peppermint so I’ll definitely be making these–especially with the holidays coming up :) Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for linking up to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday with your delicious Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes! Congrats on your husband’s promotion! That is awesome! -The Six Sisters

Those look AMAZING!!!! I love the cool whip frosting too – it makes things so much easier but it isn’t like the other ‘plain’ chocolate frostings in the can.

Ooo…I love chocolate and peppermint! . Congrats to you and your hubby! Law enforcement is a tough career – I think I told you in NYC that my Dad was a police officer for 20+ years…It was hard but it also provided a good life and some crazy memories (I will never forget eating hamburgers on the hood of a police car as the local refinery was blowing up and my Dad was blocking the street off). A strong understanding wife and mother is so important to this career as well.

Those cupcakes look delicious … I love that combination for Christmas. We just tried the Cool Whip frosting too and loved it … it’s really delicious. {and I have to tell you, that curly hair on your little one is SO cute!}

I love peppermint bark because it is so pretty and makes me think of Christmas. These are beautiful and sound tasty. I will give them a try. Great photos!

Hi, new follower here and I have a weakness for cupcakes. To be their are the perfect bite and I can see how these cupcakes get you in the mood for Christmas. These look great and judging from the pictures of the kids .. yummy too.
    I would love to take a bit out of it :)

I am DYING for one of these right now! I am not a big fan of peppermint these days, but peppermint with chocolate is still ok to my tastebuds! I love peppermint bark and to put a piece on top of a cupcake is brilliant! Found you at the CHic and Crafty party.