Easter dirt cups are made with layers of creamy chocolate pudding mixed with cool whip, crushed Oreo cookie crumbs, and decorated with Peeps marshmallow bunnies. This classic pudding cup dessert is easy to make and a festive treat for kids.
Easter Pudding Dirt Cups
Dirt cups are a classic Oreo dessert recipe, especially for kids. The original recipe calls for gummy worms, but they are fun to customize with seasonal candy (check out our Halloween Dirt Cups for a spooky twist). For the Easter season, add Peeps marshmallow bunnies, Cadbury Mini Eggs, or mini chocolate bunnies.
Pudding dirt cups are delicious and made with a few, simple ingredients. For this recipe, I’m using chocolate pudding, but vanilla pudding is a great alternative.
The pudding is layered in small cups alternating between pudding and crushed Oreo cookies. To decorate we added green-dyed shredded coconut for grass, a Peeps bunny, chocolate eggs, and icing decorations. Kids will love customizing their pudding cups with candy.
Easter dirt cup ingredients
- Jello instant chocolate pudding mix
- Cool whip
- Oreo cookies
- Peeps bunnies
- Shredded coconut + green food coloring
- Cadbury mini eggs
- Orange candy-coated strawberries made to resemble carrots
- Peeps chicks
- Mini chocolate bunnies
How to make pudding dirt cups (VIDEO TUTORIAL)
- Crush the Oreo cookies in a plastic bag to create the “dirt” layers.
- Mix the pudding and milk.
- Stir in the cool whip.
- Layer the chocolate pudding and crushed cookies.
- Decorate with holiday candy.
How long can pudding dirt cups be stored?
Pudding dirt cups can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The pudding can be made a day ahead and stored separately from the toppings. On the day the dessert is being served, assemble the cups with layers of cookie crumbs and candy toppings. This will help preserve the toppings from taking in too much moisture.
Tips & tricks
- Place one cup of shredded coconut in a large zip-top bag. Add 1-3 drops of green food dye, seal, and shake until the coconut is evenly coated.
- The recipe makes (8) 1-cup pudding cups.
- Prepare the pudding ahead, then transfer it into piping bags for kids to assemble. Place small candy cups down the center of a table or on each place setting for kids to have a decorating station. They will enjoy picking their favorite toppings to decorate the pudding cups.
Easter pudding dirt cups
- 5.9 oz instant chocolate pudding
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 15 Oreo cookies crushed
- Peeps marshmallow bunny
- Cadbury Mini Eggs
- 1 cup green food-dyed shredded coconut
- Combine the pudding mix and milk with a whisk for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cool whip; then refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
- Use a piping bag filled with pudding or an ice cream scoop to fill the bottom of the serving cup. Add a layer of cookie crumbs, then repeat.
- Decorate with green-dyed shredded coconut, a Peeps marshmallow bunny, and Cadbury mini eggs.
- Refrigerate for an hour before serving.