Easy Two-Ingredient DIY Lip Gloss

Hey crafty friends, I have another homemade beauty post today…a DIY lip gloss tutorial using only two ingredients! This homemade lip gloss keeps your lips moisturized while adding a hint of color and shimmer just in time for Summer!

DIY Lip gloss tutorial

My daughter has recently become fascinated with lip gloss, well makeup in general. I’m not surprised though since she’s as girly as can be and loves dressing up. Every once in awhile I catch her wearing my Burt’s Bees lip gloss so I knew it was time to get her some lip gloss of her own. She was thrilled when I told her I made her lip gloss then asked if she could keep it in her purse. See what I mean? Total girly girl!

I used un-petroleum jelly for this homemade lip gloss because it’s made with plant oils and beeswax. The jelly soothes and softens your lips while leaving them moisturized for hours. To make this as safe as possible for my daughter I used Wilton’s pearl dust for an edible shimmer effect. If you prefer to make this lip gloss without shimmer you can use color dust which is basically the same without the sparkle..but who doesn’t like a little bit of sparkle?

DIY Lip GlossSupplies:

Un-Petroleum Multi-Purpose Jelly

Wilton’s Pearl dust

Bead or Cosmetic Containers

Homemade Lip Gloss

To make the lip gloss I used about a tablespoon of un-petroleum jelly and mixed it with the pearl dust. I didn’t measure the dust, I simply sprinkled it in until I achieved the desired color. My favorite is the gold pearl dust lip gloss, it’s almost clear with a pretty shimmer.

If you like this tutorial try :

Homemade Lip Balm

Homemade Grapefruit Lip Balm Recipe

Lemon Soap

Mother's Day gift ideas and homemade soap tutorial

Thanks for stopping by!

DIY Lip Gloss Tutorial

Comments

1. Lacey says

Can you tell me what the Pearl Dust is and where I find it? I have just never heard of it. Thanks for everything on your blog! I love reading it all.

2. K Lewis says

I live in the boonies. Is there a place online to purchase the containers? If not, where did you get them?
    Love this idea!

• says

K Lewis » I purchased them from Hobby Lobby, but you could definitely find small bead containers on Amazon. Thanks for stopping by!

• Kathy says

Wish I would’ve saw this last week when I did a spa party for my daughter who just turned nine. I used Kool aide packets in mine. It was fun and the girls loved it. I bought my containers at Walmart, 2 for a dollar, over in the travel size section. They were perfect with twist on lids and they had a few different colors to choose from. I will have to try this one next! Thanks!

Where did you get the pearl dust from? I have some little containers that would be prefect for lip gloss and I have been thinking about letting my daughters make some this summer.

• says

Sheena » Hi Sheena, I bought the pearl dust at Michaels and Hobby Lobby in the baking aisle. I hope your daughters enjoy them, thanks for stopping by!

I love this idea! I’ve made plenty of lip glosses in my day, but never thought to use an edible pearl dust. This is perfect for little girls! Will definitely be sharing the link. Thanks for sharing this idea. I’m visiting from Tidy Mom.

5. Lynette says

I love this idea. I can never find lipgloss I like and I’d love making it myself! Is there anyway you can think of that I could add a smell to it?

• says

Lynette » Hi Lynette, I haven’t tried adding a scent but maybe flavoring that would use for baking could work? If you try it let me know how it works! Thanks for stopping by!

Genius! I cannot stand all the chemicals in make up…especially for my girls. We are off to CVS and Michael’s to get supplies! Thanks!

I can’t believe how easy this is. I always see DIY lip products, but they always have odd ingredients and I love that this is something that I could do quickly! Thanks for sharing!

This is a wonderful idea! I never thought to make my own, but this is definitely something I could attempt. :) I love that there’s only 2 ingredients! Your photography is beautiful!

Great idea. My daughter is getting into this stuff as well, she has a tube of lip balm in her purse now. This would be so fun, and super special for her. Thank you for sharing.

10. Anna says

This is a fabulous idea. I read through all the comments thinking someone would ask where to get the Un-petroleum Jelly, but since no one did, would you please tell me? I haven’t heard of it, and I see by your tube it is made by Alba. So I assume anywhere that carries Alba products would have it. Also, I’m going to guess it might be in the baby aisle. My babies are 25 and 22, so I don’t frequent that aisle anymore. :)

This idea is brilliant. I had no idea they even made unpetroleum jelly so I have to check that out … and this is the perfect way to use some of the edible pearl dust I have! Can’t wait to try it … I’m pinning.

12. Crafty grandma says

Love this idea!!!! will have to definitely try it for my grand-daughter….her b’day is only in only in October but it’s never too early to get ‘little things’ ready. I know she loves lipstick and makeup just as her mother did. I used to sell Avon products when my daughter was little and it never failed that she had to ‘try’ my products especially lipstick! Today she is 38 and when she comes over and sees a new lipstick; again she has to ‘try it’….some things never change!! TFS

13. Naturallychic❤ says

Love this idea! For sure going to be making a ton of these. Does anyone know any actual stores i can get the containers from ? Like besides amazon and ebay.

14. RobinM says

Genius! I have also heard that you can use KoolAid for color and flavor as well. I might have to try this one for my co-workers. :)