Flower Pillow Cover {HGTV Fabric}

I recently received some of the new HGTV Fabric available at Jo-Ann to review and the first thing I thought of was how perfect the yellow and grey fabric matched my current home decor. Since I’m currently working on updating my front porch I knew adding bright, colorful pillow covers would be easy to do. With the grey and yellow fabric I made a flower pillow cover to coordinate with my porch makeover. It’s still a work in process but I hope to finish this weekend and show it to you next week!   Flower pillow tutorial apumpkinandaprincess.com

HGTV and Jo-Ann have partnered together to offer trendy indoor and outdoor home decor fabrics, available only at Jo-Ann stores. There are currently 74 exclusive designs available online and instore. Keep reading for a special coupon at the bottom of the post!

I received two different patterns of the HGTV fabric and coordinating trim. I have an idea for my son’s room with a geometric pattern fabric that I can’t wait to try. For my bench pillow I used the light grey floral print and I think it fits perfectly for what I had in mind.

To make an envelope pillow cover you will need:

My pillow form is 17 inches so I cut a total of three pieces of fabric

-one 17 inches (the front of the pillow)

-one piece 21 inches cut in half

I was so excited to make make the pillow that I forgot to take pictures of every step. I hope I can explain this as easy as possible, please feel free to email me if I confuse you at all! :)

I took my long piece of fabric (the 21 inches) and cut it in half. I sewed a half inch seam where I cut the pieces in half on one side of each piece. This will be the seam on the envelope closure.

envelope pillow cover tutorial

I then placed my 17 inch fabric right side up and my two smaller pieces right side down, overlapping each other by a few inches (the hemmed seams are in the middle of the pillow). The picture on the right above shows what it should look like before adding the third piece right side down, that will overlap the piece on the top. I pinned it together and sewed around the entire perimeter. This is really basic sewing here, all you need to do is sew a “square” and you’re done.

Since the “long piece” was cut into two and then aligned with the 17 inch piece, it creates an envelope closure on the back of the pillow case. This makes it easy to wash or replace your pillow covers.

envelope pillow cover tutorial

So here’s a little secret about the ribbon flower on the front of the pillow…it’s removable!

To make the yellow ribbon flower I ruffled 4 yards of 2 inch wide ribbon. I then wrapped the ribbon around to create a flower design and hot glued onto a round piece of felt along the way. I made a button using the HGTV fabric and a button making kit you can find at Jo-Ann. So I bet you’re wondering how it’s removable, huh? Well I actually safety pinned the felt on the back of the flower to the front of my fabric cover. You’re probably thinking what? Why? Well, at first I wasn’t sure if I would like the flower on the front so I didn’t want to sew it straight onto the pillow cover. Then I ran out of ribbon and the store is out of stock in the color I need. I would like to add two more yards of ribbon to create a bigger flower. I figured it’ll be easy for me to add more felt and ribbon to it if I need to.

Flower Pillow Tutorial apumpkinandaprincess.com

HGTV Fabric

Want to make your own flower pillows with the new HGTV fabric? Well here’s a coupon to use for your next shopping trip to Jo-Ann. But you’ll have to be quick because the coupon expires on the 4th. To make things even sweeter Jo-Ann is currently offering their HGTV fabric at 50% off AND you can use the coupon on top of the sale!

Flower Pillow Tutorial apumpkinandaprincess.com

Thanks for stopping by!

Linking up here

Disclaimer: Jo-Ann stores provided me with the HGTV fabric to facilitate this review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

1. Sandy says

Beautiful pillow, I love how you added the ruffled flower to it. I will definitely have to give that a try.
    I was at Joann’s the other day and looked at the HGTV fabric – it really is gorgeous, but even with a coupon the price is a little too high for me :(

• elizabeth b says

Get on the JoAnn mailing list and get 40 and 50% off coupons. They are in the papers too. They also will take competitors coupons also.

I just love the pillow, especially the yellow flower. It is so bright and fun and it makes the pillow really stand out. Making the flower removable will also help when it comes time to clean that pillow, which, if it were on my porch, would be two days after I put it out there. :)

I am ready for some new living room pillows! I love the color choices. I’d have to see if I can find some fabric & ribbon with pops of color to match our decor. Thanks for the inspiration. Visiting from DearCreatives.com I hope you can drop by sometime. Theresa

This is gorgeous! I’m in love with all the HGTV fabric Joann’s is carrying. What a fun way to use it. I love you’re big yellow flower on it. It’s been pinned. Have a great weekend!

This is so pretty! I love the grey and yellow together! Thank you so much for sharing!

I’d love for you to check out our Pattern Party! Those with free patterns and templates to share are invited to link up!

Crystal I am in L.O.V.E. with this pillow!!! Just pinned it! I was already a FB fan and just added you to Twitter & Pinterest too. :) If you get a chance, I would love for you to come link these up at my “Best Of The Weekend” party. Just beautiful!!
    xoxo, Claire

This is SO pretty! I’ve got a master bedroom makeover in mind that involves navy, grey, and yellow…and I will definitely be making one of these for the bed! :)

Hi,
    I stopped by from Tidy Mom’s and so happy I did! The pillow is adorable…love the flower you added. I haven’t seen the HGTV fabric yet at JoAnn’s. I’m prolly the only one! :) I’m moving soon so will have to take a look once I get settled. Everything is in upheaval now.

I’m a new follower and look forward to more of your projects. Stop by and say hi when you can!

Pat

I so love the flower. Big, bright, ruffly…so much texture. Your project makes it look easy. Inspiring. And yellow and gray is both elegant and cheerful…Lynaea

Wow!! What incredible detail you added. This looks absolutely incredible:) I just barely have enough sewing skill to do straight line envelope pillows…so I am seriously impressed!
    Krista

11. Becca says

I love this pillow and you wanted to make the flower bigger but I think it’s just right any bigger and you wouldn’t get to see the pretty fabric! I;m making this one thanks for the easy to follow tut