Air fryer panko onion rings are quick and easy to make for a game day appetizer, to serve with hamburgers, or to enjoy as an afternoon snack. The best part is this recipe can be modified using gluten-free flour and gluten-free panko crumbs.
This gluten-free appetizer is battered in a smoked paprika flour dredge then coated with crispy panko crumbs.
Panko breadcrumbs create a crunchy texture around the tender sweet onion on the inside. Regular breadcrumbs will work but trust me, panko crumbs make the best crunchy onion rings.
Gluten-Free Air Fryer Onion Rings
I recently had a realization that it’s been years since I’ve had an onion ring. At least 4 years since my diagnosis. I’ve definitely missed ordering them as an appetizer.
In my small town, it’s hard to find gluten-free options as is and I definitely haven’t found a restaurant that serves gluten-free onion rings. I thought why don’t I just make a batch for our family to share as a weekend appetizer?
Cue the recipe testing to make a lighter air fryer option without excess oil and fat. Don’t worry, this recipe is just as tasty as its deep-fried alternative minus the extra calories.
The onion rings are simple to make and take less than 20 minutes from start to end using an air fryer.
Making this delicious appetizer crowd-friendly in as few batches as possible is easy to do with our favorite Air Fryer. We can make sheet pan size batches in less than 10 minutes.
What type of onions work best?
Sweet onions, like Vidalia, work best in this recipe. The sweetness intensifies as they cook, while other types of onions are more pungent.
How long should you cook onion rings in an air fryer?
Cooking time will depend on the model of your air fryer but typically around 8-12 minutes. Our favorite air fryer model holds a baking sheet size so we can cook more at once.
Tips and tricks for making onion rings in the air fryer
- Don’t skip the panko breadcrumbs in this recipe. Panko gives an extra crispy crunch that regular breadcrumbs can’t compare to. I’m using this brand of gluten-free panko crumbs from our local grocery store. Here’s another panko breadcrumbs option.
- Shake off the excess flour before dipping in the egg mixture. Then make sure it’s fully covered in egg so the panko has something to adhere to.
- Using tongs or a fork will lessen the mess between layers.
- Place the onion rings in a single layer on your air fryer basket.
- Spray the onion rings with cooking spray right before placing in the air fryer. This will help give them their golden-brown color and make them extra crispy.
- Serve them with your favorite dipping sauces, like ranch, ketchup, garlic aioli, or fry sauce.
More Gluten-Free recipes:
- 1/2 cup flour gluten-free
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup panko
- 1 large onion
- In a shallow dish combine flour, ¼ teaspoon salt, and paprika.
- Whisk egg and water in a separate bowl.
- Combine panko crumbs with ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Slice onion into ½ inch rings.
- Coat onion ring in flour mixture followed by the egg mixture, shaking off the excess between steps. Then press into panko crumbs.
- Place on air fryer basket and coat with cooking spray. Air fry at 375 for 7-9 minutes, or until golden brown. Add additional time if needed, starting with 1-2 minutes at a time.