A classic chocolate cream pie made with a CHOCOLATE NUT PIE CRUST. This rich, decadent chocolate custard pie is made with semisweet and unsweetened chocolate to create the perfect balance of chocolate with an excellent no-bake crunchy pie crust.
This recipe was created in collaboration with Diamond of California.
My family loves chocolate pie especially my husband. It’s the only kind he requests for the holidays. While I can never turn down a slice of pumpkin pie, he prefers a homemade pudding-like chocolate cream pie.
Our favorite chocolate pie recipe is simple to make and great for every occasion. Whether we’re hosting a family gathering or enjoying a weekend at home, this chocolate pie is always our go-to.
Triple Chocolate Cream Pie
This no-bake chocolate pie is made with a chocolate nut crust and two types of chocolate. The combination of semi-sweet and unsweetened chocolate gives this pie an excellent flavor and balances out the sweetness. The pudding filling is smooth and creamy with a rich chocolate flavor that pairs perfectly with a chocolate nut crust. The pie is then topped with a homemade whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
What you will need to make a chocolate cream pie
The pudding filling in this chocolate pie is made with pantry staple ingredients. Sugar, egg yolks, cornstarch, salt, milk, chocolate, and vanilla are all you need to make this creamy chocolate pie.
A ready-to-use nut pie crust from Diamond of California pairs well with this chocolate pie recipe. The nut pie crust is made with a blend of walnuts, pecans, and cocoa. Find them now at Walmart stores nationwide, as well as many other national retailers. You can also check online at Diamond’s Store Locator.
How to make a chocolate cream pie
- Start with a Diamond ready-to-use chocolate nut pie crust
- Slowly simmer the milk, part of the sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks, a few tablespoons of sugar, and the cornstarch in a bowl. Temper the egg yolks by slowly adding a cup of hot milk to the bowl while whisking the egg.
- The most important step in making a chocolate pie is tempering the eggs in the pudding filling. To do this you will pour some of the hot milk into the egg yolks and whisk quickly to bring the temperature down. This step will help warm the egg yolks without cooking them. No one wants scrambled eggs in their pie.
- This pie is more on the creamier side, but the cornstarch in the recipe will help thicken the chocolate pie filling perfectly. The end result is a smooth and creamy chocolate pie filling that pairs well with a chocolate crust.
- Once the egg and milk mixture begins to thicken remove from heat and add in butter, chocolate, and vanilla. Pour filling into pie crust and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Halloween Pie Ideas
With Halloween quickly approaching I wanted to test out a few ideas for my son’s birthday dinner. My son shares a birthday with the holiday, so we like to make a festive dinner menu filled with spooky treats.
I found these decorative ghosts made from icing that are perfect for creating a spooky scene on a chocolate pie.
Or you could top a slice of pie with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and an icing ghost decoration on top.
An icing bat decoration is another way to add a Halloween twist to this classic chocolate cream pie.
Whatever the occasion, this chocolate pie is perfect for all celebrations and holiday gatherings. Using a premade crust makes this recipe quick and easy to make without needing to use an oven.
Triple Chocolate Cream Pie
Chocolate Pie Filling
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter divided into tablespoons
- 5 oz semisweet chocolate finely chopped
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipped cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks, 3 tbsp sugar, and cornstarch; set aside.
- Bring milk, remaining sugar, and salt to simmer in a medium saucepan; stir frequently.
- Temper the egg mixture by removing 1 cup of milk from the saucepan and slowly pour it into the egg mixture while whisking vigorously.
- Slowly pour egg mixture into saucepan while whisking. Continue to whisk while bringing the temperature to medium heat. The milk and egg mixture will begin to thicken. Remove from heat when small bubbles begin to pop on the surface (about 30-60 seconds).
- Whisk in butter and chocolate until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared chocolate nut pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4-6 hours.
- Prepare whipped topping in a cold stand mixer bowl. Whisk milk, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until the cream thickens.
- Spread whipped cream over the chocolate pie and decorate with chocolate shavings.
For more Halloween dessert ideas check out: