How to make a Composition Book Tote Bag. This DIY notebook bag is easy to make and great for carrying books or to give as a teacher appreciation gift.
DIY Composition Book Tote
Back to school is right around the corner! Remember the Composition Book Shoes I shared last week? I’m back with another back to school craft idea using the classic notebook pattern. This DIY Composition Book Tote is easy to make in a few simple steps. The tote bag is made using heat transfer vinyl and a black canvas bag. I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out the composition book pattern. Another method is to paint the design on using fabric paint. More on that at the end of the post.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links
How to make a heat transfer tote bag
- Black Canvas Tote
- White Heat Transfer Vinyl
- Silhouette Cameo
- Iron or heat press
I made a quick 30 second video tutorial on how to make this back to school tote bag
- Use the Composition Book design 65430 from the Silhouette store. Remove compound path to get rid of the outline of the notebook. Align the notebook lines to the center and highlight the entire design, then create a compound path again. This will keep your pieces together and make it easy to resize. You can then duplicate or cut additional pattern pieces to fit your tote.
- It’s important to mirror your design when cutting heat transfer vinyl. Place your vinyl plastic (shiny) side down and cut using the smooth heat transfer setting.
- Remove excess vinyl – the Siser easy weed is great for projects with a lot of patterns or intricate designs. It makes peeling off the excess vinyl a breeze! Take your cut design off the mat and flip over then place the sheet on top of your tote.
- Press iron or heat press down for a few seconds until your heat transfer vinyl has adhered to the bag. Allow the sheet to cool then gently peel the plastic sheet off. Repeat until the entire bag is covered in the composition book pattern.
This diy tote bag makes a great handmade gift for teacher appreciation. You can add a teacher’s name to the center using vinyl and add a bow to the handle.
More back to school ideas:
Want to make this project without a cutting machine? I recently made a video for Michaels sharing how you can paint the design on. I will add a link once the video is live on their Facebook page.