Strawberry lemonade has always been my favorite Summertime drink. Lemonade by itself is refreshing but strawberry lemonade was always a special treat for us growing up. This inspired my latest dessert recipe, Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes! They’re lemon cupcakes with homemade strawberry frosting.
These cupcakes are made from a Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme mix and topped with a homemade strawberry frosting. They’re sweet and tart at the same time. My kids loved them and they would never know the cake mix isn’t from scratch. Plus it was easy to make and perfect for our afternoon picnic.
You could top it with blueberry to give it a red white and blue theme for the Fourth of July. Another fun idea is to add the sparkling candles on top. My kids had fun blowing them out and watching them relight after I finished photographing them.
Lemon Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting
- Favorite lemon cupcake recipe or mix
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk or heavy whipped cream
- Puree strawberries in a blender or food processor.
- Heat pureed strawberries in a saucepan until boiling. Stir often and allow strawberries to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- In a stand mixer beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar to butter and mix well.
- Mix in half of the pureed strawberries.
- Add another cup of powdered sugar and remaining strawberries. Then add the remaining cup of powdered sugar and mix until well combined.
- If you would like a thinner frosting add 1 tablespoon of milk.
Thanks for stopping by!
they look so pretty and delicious.. yummy !!
I’ve featured these tasty summer cupcakes on my blog, hoping that you don’t mind, but if you do, please contact me and I’ll remove it. All the best.
Made these cupcakes/strawberry frosting last evening. They are delicious. The frosting is not to sweet its soooo good. It’s actually one of the best frostings I’ve ever tasted. Was wondering what I would do to make a frosting similar to this one but without the berries. I would like to use a frosting of this consistently for all my cakes!
Trying them tonight !! Looks amazing !! Thanks for the awesome recipe !!