Slow cooker meatballs in a tangy and spicy barbecue sauce.
Happy Friday, my friends! With football season now underway I’ve been thinking of appetizers to make on football Sundays. Last weekend we had a lazy Sunday watching football and enjoying a table full of our favorite football party food. We don’t have big spreads like that often but I do enjoy making appetizers during the season. I’d like to try making a few new recipes every month during football season. I know my husband will love that! Today I’m sharing a barbecue meatball recipe that can be made in the oven or slow cooker.
This recipe is so easy to make! By using frozen meatballs I can quickly whip up a batch of tangy and spicy barbecue sauce then have the meatballs prepared in no time. If you’re pressed for time you can cook the meatballs into the oven for 10-15 minutes while the sauce is cooking. Then glaze the meatballs and pop them back into the oven for another 5-10 minutes. Or if you’re looking for an even easier recipe that allows you to sit back and enjoy the game without slaving away in the kitchen use a slow cooker to make the meatballs. With this method you’ll combine the sauce ingredients then add the meatballs and sauce into the crock pot to cook for 3-4 hours.
Slow Cooker Meatballs
Spicy Slow Cooker Meatballs
- 24 frozen meatballs
- For the sauce:
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2-3 tablespoons chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- a few drops of hot sauce Tabasco, optional
- In a medium saucepan stir over medium-high heat ketchup, sugar, water, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and chili powder until sauce thickens (about 5 minutes).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you prefer a spicier sauce add a few drops of hot sauce.
- Place meatballs and sauce in slow cooker for 3-4 hours.
Thanks for stopping by!