Almond butter overnight oats are easy to make and a protein-packed breakfast you can grab-and-go. This recipe is made with gluten-free oats, Greek yogurt, milk, chia seeds, honey, and almond butter. Simply make them in a mason jar the night before then top with fresh fruit and nuts in the morning for a delicious ready-to-eat breakfast.
Overnight oats are one of my favorite grab-and-go breakfast meals when I have a busy week ahead. I like to prepare a batch in mason jars to last through the week and make my mornings easy. The best part is overnight oats can be a great source of protein, fiber, and rich in antioxidants.
Almond Butter Overnight Oats
I’ve been making overnight oats for years so I’m always looking for new ways to switch things up. Some of my favorites include blueberry overnight oats, raspberry overnight oats, strawberry overnight oats, and peach granola overnight oats. My new favorite method is to include a tablespoon or two of almond butter. This not only helps give flavor to the oats, but it also adds protein.
To add nut butter to your oats, simply stir in the almond butter when prepping the oats in mason jars. You can also top the oats in the morning with a tablespoon of almond butter then stir together. This will also work with peanut butter and sunflower butter.
What are overnight oats?
This simple and easy breakfast meal is a no-cook method of making oatmeal, usually in a mason jar. The oats are mixed with milk, sweetener, chia seeds or flax seeds, and yogurt. The oats absorb the liquid overnight to create a pudding-like porridge ready-to-eat in the morning. They are easy to prep for a meal plan and quick to assemble several days in advance.
The base recipe for making simple overnight oats is one-part oats with one-part milk. The additives enhance the flavor to your liking. You can keep it simple with few ingredients or add protein, sweetener, antioxidants, and fruit.
Ingredients for overnight oats
- Oats – this recipe is best made with old fashioned oats, not quick oats. I use certified gluten-free oats to make sure they’re allergy-friendly.
- Milk – add your preference of milk to the recipe. Dairy milk, plant-based almond milk, soy, milk, etc. will work well with this recipe. Use the milk that best suits your dietary needs.
- Chia seeds – These tiny superfood seeds add nutrients to your breakfast. They also give the overnight oats a pudding-like texture after soaking in the milk.
- Greek yogurt – plain Greek yogurt will help thicken the oats and add protein.
- Vanilla extract – a splash of vanilla helps give flavor to the oats.
- Sweetener– to add a bit of sweetness to the oats, use honey, maple syrup, agave syrup, or brown sugar.
- Toppings – nut butter, fresh fruit, dried fruit, seeds, chocolate chips, and spices like cinnamon.
How to make overnight oats
- Pour one-part oats and one-part milk into a mason jar.
- Add plain Greek yogurt, chia seeds, vanilla extract, and sweetener. Optional: add in nut butter and spices.
- Stir or close the lid tightly and shake to combine the ingredients together. Refrigerate the oats overnight and enjoy in the morning.
Can you warm overnight oats?
Overnight oats are typically served cold straight from the refrigerator. However, you can warm them in the microwave. Simply warm for 30-60 seconds. It’s completely up to preference on whether to eat the oats cold or warm.
Are overnight oats healthy?
The base of this recipe is a healthy breakfast option. Customizing the ingredients allows you to determine how much sugar, fiber, and protein to add. Reducing sugar additives will help keep the recipe low-carb and filled with protein and fiber.
What does soaking the oats overnight do?
The oats will absorb the liquid overnight eliminating the need to cook the oats the traditional way. This gives the oat a soft consistency similar to a pudding-like porridge.
Almond Butter Overnight Oats
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup milk dairy or plant-based milk
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp honey, brown sugar, maple syrup, or agave syrup
- 1-2 tbsp almond butter
- Add ingredients to a mason jar and stir together. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Top with fruit, a drizzle of honey, or more almond butter if desired.