Ambrosia Salad is a classic holiday recipe and always a crowd-pleaser. This marshmallow fruit salad recipe is easy to make and a great dessert salad for every occasion. The fruit salad is made with miniature marshmallows, pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, cherries, coconut, pecans, whipped cream and vanilla greek yogurt. Trust me, the greek yogurt makes a tasty addition to this classic party recipe!
Ambrosia salad is a twist on the traditional fruit salad. A classic marshmallow fruit salad recipe is made with pineapple, mandarin oranges, miniature marshmallows and coconut. The fruit salad can also be made with other ingredients like bananas, grapes, maraschino cherries, strawberries and nuts.
This ambrosia salad recipe is made with homemade whipped cream using heavy cream and sugar. Sour cream is often mixed with the whipped cream, but I chose to add vanilla Greek yogurt instead and it was a big hit! I also added fruit marshmallows instead of plain marshmallows. This is totally optional, both will work great in the salad.
The Greek yogurt helps thicken the whipped cream and surprisingly doesn’t make this dessert salad too sweet. It’s the perfect combination and will be a must-have recipe for every holiday gathering.
How to make ambrosia salad
- Begin by placing your whisk and mixing bowl in the refrigerator while prepping the salad.
- In a large bowl, combine the fruit together.
- The pineapple and mandarin oranges can be fresh or canned in juice, not syrup. Drain and pat the fruit dry with a napkin to remove excess juice.
- Drain maraschino cherries, pat dry, and cut in half.
- Chop pecans to small bits and in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour heavy cream and sugar into chilled mixing bowl. Whisk until whipped cream is thick.
- Mix in vanilla Greek yogurt with whipped cream.
- Carefully fold in whipped cream into fruit salad.
- Cover and chill for a couple hours before serving.
Can I make ambrosia salad a day ahead?
Yes, the salad serves best when it has had time to chill. The whipped cream will settle into the fruit and the flavors of the fruit will blend together.
Can I make ambrosia salad with cool whip?
Yes, if you prefer to simplify the recipe you can use cool whip.
Are the pecans necessary in the recipe?
The addition of nuts is optional. If there are known nut allergies, exclude pecans and possibly coconut if needed. On the other hand, if you prefer walnuts feel free to use them instead of pecans.
More dessert recipes:
The BEST Ambrosia Salad Recipe
A classic ambrosia salad recipe made with miniature marshmallows, pineapple, mandarin oranges, cherries, coconut, pecans, whipped cream and vanilla greek yogurt.
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 20 oz pineapple chunks drained
- 11 oz mandarin oranges drained
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1/2 cup cherries halved, drained
- 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
Whisk heavy cream and sugar until whipped cream is thick, about 3-5 minutes using a stand mixer. Stir in greek yogurt.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
Carefully fold in whipped cream until evenly mixed together.
Cover and chill until ready to serve