How to make a cauldron boxtume out of a cardboard box. This DIY Cauldron Costume is made from an Amazon box, decorated with green bubbling Styrofoam balls and vinyl flames. Pair with a witch hat and dress for a spooktacular Halloween celebration.
This costume was made in collaboration with Amazon and Forward Influence Network.
Halloween is almost here! Whether you’re trick or treating or having a family Halloween party, I have an easy no-sew costume idea for all ages. This cauldron costume is made out of a box. That’s right save those Amazon boxes to turn them into boxtumes!
You can create some amazing costume ideas using a plain cardboard box. In the past, I’ve made this Tin Man Costume and Spellbook Costume using an Amazon smile box. This year we made a bubbling cauldron costume.
Repurposing boxes is a great way to create a low-cost costume you can make together as a family this Halloween season.
DIY Cauldron Costume
I used a large box to draw a cauldron design then cut two of the exact pieces. The rectangular side panels are glued to curve and follow the shape of the cauldron. The fun part is creating a bubbling effect with Styrofoam balls. You can use as many as you’d like to create an overflowing bubbling effect. I couldn’t decide whether I wanted flames on the bottom, so I created both. You can see the flames on the back of the costume, which could easily be the front as well.
I’m so happy with the way this boxtume turned out. My husband suggested we repurpose it next year to decorate our front porch by adding a mum planter inside.
To make a cauldron costume you will need:
- Large Amazon box
- Black spray paint
- Styrofoam balls (variety of sizes) and this Half Ball Set
- X-acto knife
- Hot glue gun
- Witch costume
Note: you will need to measure how big you want the cauldron to be and how wide the side panels need to be to easily slide into. Our costume is sized 17×19 for the cauldron and 9.5×11.5 for the side panels. The wider the side panels are the easier it will be to slide in and out of.
Halloween Cauldron Costume Video Tutorial
How to make a cauldron costume
- Start with 1-2 Amazon boxes. Measure the size you want the front and side pieces to be. One large box is great for a child-size costume.
- Draw a cauldron design on the box. You will need two of the same size for the front and back. Cut the cauldron using an x-acto knife.
- Cut two rectangle side panels. Roll the rectangle to help bend the cardboard. This step will make it easier to curve the side panels along the cauldron.
Add a generous amount of hot glue to the side of the cauldron and hold the side panel in place until the glue is set.
- Optional: reinforce the side panels with packaging tape.
- To create a finished edge, hot glue piping along the exposed cardboard front and back.
- Spray paint the cauldron.
Decorte The Cauldron Costume
- Insert a toothpick into a styrofoam ball and paint with green acrylic paint. Place on a styrofoam block to hold in place while the paint dries. Tip: use a variety of styrofoam ball sizes to create a bubbling cauldron effect.
- Hot glue the styrofoam balls on the front and back of the cauldron.
- Cut flames out of vinyl and apply it to the bottom of the cauldron. Use a Silhouette cutting machine and design 2830 from the Silhouette store to make this step easier.
- Measure and cut elastic to fit above the shoulders then hot glue to the inside of the cauldron.
Once your costume is made, have a fun Halloween night with family watching movies on Prime Video, read a spooky story using Prime reading, or create a Spooktacular playlist on Amazon Music #primelife. We will be celebrating with a Halloween themed dinner menu and spooky treats!
If you create a costume out of a box this Halloween season, upload your photo to social media using the hashtags #boxtumes and #morethanabox.