Easy, step-by-step tutorial on how to make floral scented candles. This DIY soy wax candle craft is a beautiful gift idea for Mother’s Day, wedding favors, holiday gifts, birthday gifts, or a gift basket.
Homemade candles are one of my favorite crafts to make. I love the ambiance candle bring to a home environment, and it’s even more rewarding knowing they are hand-poured using soy wax.
Candles make lovely handmade gifts for friends, family, and hostesses gifts. The candle scents and colors can be customized to everyone’s preference and complement seasonal scents throughout the year.
Spring Floral Candle DIY
The start of Spring and my garden beginning to bloom with beautiful florals inspired this DIY floral candle craft project. Using a blend of floral scents, I created a couple of purple candles for the spring season. My favorite seasonal scents are sweet pea, peony, lilies, and rose fragrance oils.
You can use your favorite flower scent to make floral candles or create a custom blend. Have fun mixing scents to create the perfect candle. This Spring Floral Fragrance set is excellent for building custom blends.
What you will need to make a soy wax candle
- Soy wax flakes – soy wax burns cleaner and has a lower melting point than paraffin wax, making it an excellent option for homemade candles.
- Candle jar – mason jars are an excellent option for DIY candles. Thrift stores and craft stores are great options for finding decorative colored jars. I don’t have an exact match, but here is a beautiful set of purple embossed jars for candlemaking.
- Candle wicks – soy wicks and wood wicks are best for a cleaner burning candle.
- Fragrance oil – customize a hand-poured candle with essential oils or candle fragrance oil.
- Optional: Gold Candle Wick Trimmer Set
How to make a DIY Candle
Here is a quick video tutorial on how to make a soy wax candle.
- Fill the jar with soy wax flakes then transfer into a melting pot. Repeat so that you have twice the amount of soy wax flakes. For example, if you are planning to make an 8-ounce candle you will need 16 ounces of soy wax.
- Melt the candle wax flakes in a double boiler or candle melting pot until liquified.
- Meanwhile, glue a candle wick to the center of the jar or use a wick sticker to adhere in place.
- Remove from heat and stir in fragrance.
- Carefully pour the wax into the jar and center the wick with a clip.
- Allow the candle to harden for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Trim the wick to ¼ inch before lighting.
Tips for making homemade candles
- To dye wax, use liquid dye or melting dye blocks while the wax is hot. Stir until color is evenly mixed. Pour a drop onto a napkin to test the shade. Add more dye for a darker color.
- A candle fragrance kit is a great way to mix and match scents to make a custom blend. Vanilla and lemon also pair well with fresh floral fragrance oil scents.
- Always trim the candle wick to ¼ inch to help prevent a high flame when burning a candle. If gifting this homemade candle, pair it with this GOLD CANDLE TRIMMER SET.
DIY Floral Scented Candle
- 16 oz soy wax flakes
- 1 candle jar
- 1 candle wick
- 1 tsp fragrance oil
- Glue the candle wick in the center of the jar.
- Measure 16 ounces of wax for an 8-ounce candle.
- Melt in a double boiler or melting pot.
- Remove from heat, stir in the fragrance oil, and carefully pour into the prepared candle jar.
- Center the wick with a clip or in between two pencils. Place the candle on a sturdy surface to set overnight.
- Trim the wick to 1/4 inch before lighting.