DIY Glitter Ocean Slime Jars – this aquarium inspired craft is a great summer boredom buster idea for kids! This easy slime recipe will show you how to make glitter slime with ocean toys to store in plastic containers. Great for saving as a summer activity or party favor for an Under the Sea party!
Ocean Theme Crafts
Summer break is here and it’s time for our yearly ocean theme week. It’s when we spend a week dedicated to ocean theme crafts, recipes, watching ocean documentaries or movies then head to the beach at the end of the week. My kids look forward to this tradition every year! In the past, we have made octopus and fish handprint art, beach cupcakes, Ocean Toy Soap, seashell sensory bins, Finding Dory Popcorn and more! This year we decided to add Ocean Slime to our activity list.
Having creative weeks planned ahead makes summer enjoyable for everyone in the family. We spend time together as a family and less time using electronics. Planning out our summer projects has been fun!
DIY Glitter Slime
How to make glitter ocean slime
- Pour Elmer’s glitter glue in a small bowl.
- Use a wooden stick to stir in baking soda until evenly distributed.
- Add contact lens solution and stir until slime begins to form. Remove from bowl and knead with hands until the slime isn’t sticky.
- Tip: if you find the slime to be too sticky, quickly roll the slime through the remaining contact lens solution in the bowl or add a few more drops and knead together. Be careful not to add too much solution or the slime won’t be as stretchy.
- Optional: add loose glitter to make your slime sparkle even more!
To make the ocean slime jars to resemble an aquarium add toys in between layers of slime. You’ll want the toys to peek through the front of the jar. I found it easier to add a little slime into the jar, the toys then placed the remaining slime behind the sea creatures.
Decorate the jar lid with glitter tape.
More Creative Activities for Kids
- Glow in the Dark Slime
- Glitter Tube Bracelets
- DIY Panda Bath Bombs
- 25 Water Activities for Kids
- Water Sponge Bombs
- 6 oz glitter glue
- 1/2 tbsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tbsp contact lens solution
- Pour glitter glue into a bowl.
- Stir in baking soda and mix thoroughly.
- Add contact lens solution and continue stirring until slime begins to form.
- Remove slime from the bowl and begin kneading with your hands.
- Optional: add chunky glitter to give your slime texture
- Store in airtight container.
These slime containers are great for storing slime and also to give as party favors. It would be a great idea for a Little Mermaid or Under the Sea party – even a Shark Week craft! Simply switch out the fish for small toy sharks.
Would you guys be interested in hearing more about our creative theme weeks this summer? I could do a mini-roundup of ideas at the end of the week to share what we made for each theme. Let me know if you’re interested! :)