Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cupcakes – how to make ice cream cupcakes. Layers of chocolate fudge cupcake, mint chocolate chip ice cream, topped with a drizzle of chocolate.
Ice cream cupcakes have been a birthday tradition in our family for years. This single serving dessert is great for parties and can be made ahead of time. I shared this Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cupcakes recipe back in 2013 and it was a big hit. After making them over the years, I’ve found what works best and what my ideal portion size is for each layer. The ice cream to cake ratio is perfect, in my opinion. Ice cream cupcakes can be made with any flavor of ice cream and topped with whipped cream, chocolate, sprinkles, fruit or ganache. Today I’m sharing my updated Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cupcakes recipe.
This post contains affiliate links
Quick video tutorial on how to make ice cream cupcakes
I found that using the double layer cupcake liners (with the parchment and foil liner) work best for keeping the shape of the cupcakes. After the cupcakes have cooled, firmly press ice cream onto each cupcake. The mini and regular size ice cream scoops are great for accurate measuring.
We decided to add magic shell ice cream topping and the kids loved it! The chocolate hardens within seconds and paired perfectly with the mint chocolate chip ice cream.
How to make ice cream cupcakes
- Chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 ¼ cup water
- Mint chocolate chip ice cream
- Optional: Magic Shell or melted chocolate and chocolate shavings
- Preheat oven to 350
- Pour one tablespoon of batter into a lined baking pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes; cool.
- Top each cupcake with one scoop of ice cream. Use a spatula or spoon to spread ice cream to cover the entire cupcake. Cover pan with foil or plastic wrap. Freeze overnight or until ice cream is firm.
- Gently peel liners off cupcakes and drizzle with magic shell chocolate topping. Quickly add chocolate shavings before chocolate is firm.
- Serve immediately or freeze until ready to eat.
The best thing about ice cream cupcakes is that every bite has a layer of cake and double layer of ice cream. When made ahead it is the perfect dessert for birthday parties. No worrying about scooping ice cream, simply remove from freezer and serve.
Ice Cream Cupcakes Recipes