Today I have another favorite berry recipe to share with you. This mixed berry crisp is perfectly sweet and tart with four different berries and an oatmeal-walnut crumble on top.
Summer has such great flavors, especially the seasonal berries. We always have strawberries and blueberries in our home, but it’s nice enjoying them during their peek season. While shopping for some last minute Fourth of July items last week I found all of these pretty berries on sale at my local grocery store I can’t pass up a good deal on berries so I picked up strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries. We already had blueberries at home so I thought the best way to use them together is in a berry crisp.
Mixed Berry Crisp
Mixed Berry Crisp
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries; sliced
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup old fashion oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts I use walnuts, but almonds work great too
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine fruit and sugar and place in a square baking dish or individual serving, oven safe, dishes.
- Cut cold butter into small cubes and set aside.
- For the topping combine oats, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Add butter cubes and mix ingredients together to form small crumbs. Mix in nuts and sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until fruit is tender.
For this recipe I use 5 cups of berries, you can mix the amounts to your preference. I like to use strawberries as the main berry then add in blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.
My favorite way to eat berry crisp is with a generous spoon of vanilla ice cream on top. The warm crisp slowly melts the ice cream and balances out the tart flavor of the berries. Don’t you just love berry season? So many dessert possibilities!
Thanks for stopping by!