Ice Cream Cupcakes Recipe

It’s been awhile since I shared a dessert with you, the marshmallow brownie bites for Valentine’s Day might have been the most recent. I think it’s time for another easy dessert idea, right?

As you can see, we love dessert in our household. I try
to limit how often we bake, but it’s hard to when we come up with fun
ideas like ice cream cupcakes. In honor of St. Patrick’s Day we decided to make mint chocolate chip ice cream cupcakes.
Mint chocolate chip ice cream is my son’s favorite, so he was pretty excited. My husband on the other hand doesn’t like mint chocolate chip ice cream, so naturally he had a Reese’s ice cream cupcake. If you’ve been a reader long enough you probably know how much my husband LOVES Reese’s. Actually anything with peanut butter and chocolate together, like the Peanut Butter & Chocolate Caramel Corn and Peanut Butter Blossoms we made.

This was one of those ideas I quickly thought of but had no idea if it would work. I didn’t know how much batter to put in the cupcake pan, if the ice cream would slide right off, or if it would turn out to be a complete fail. I’ve had a few of those lately. Hmm, that might make an interesting blog post. :)

To make your own you will need your favorite cake mix, ice cream, and cupcake liners, frosting and chocolate chips optional.
I found using one tablespoon of batter worked the best. If you like more cake than ice cream, increase the batter by a teaspoon. Bake for about 10-12 mins, depending on your oven settings. Once the cupcakes have cooled, press softened ice cream on top and freeze until completely hardened. They are fairly easy to make, but I do suggest you serve them immediately as the ice cream melts quickly.

Have you made ice cream cupcakes before? What ice cream flavor did you use? These might make an appearance at our next birthday party. It would make handing out cake and ice cream so much easier.
Thanks for stopping by! I’ll be back soon with another St. Patrick’s Day idea.

Linking up to these parties,

Scoopalicious and Cupcake Project

Tip Junkie handmade projects

Comments

These look so amazing!! Mint chocolate chip is my favorite too :) And you are so right, how brilliant would these be for a bday party?! Thanks for sharing!!

Oh my! These look (and I’m sure taste) FABULOUS!!! I will definitely be trying this – pinned! If you get a chance, I would love for you to share these at my link party. Thanks so much for the idea!!!

I love how they turned out! I recently made something similar last week, with ice cream in a chocolate shell and cupcakes on top. Another dessert that will melt quickly, especially in the Summer.

4. Erin says

I was curious to know if you had tried these with a little bit of brownie at the bottom in lieu of the cake. I think I might try that. We are having a big birthday bash for our three sons and I think this is a fun idea. I actually bought some of these last night at an ice cream shop in lieu of an ice cream cake. Yum!

5. Shnookie says

** HELP** I would love to make these .Hi You said frosting? where does that go? It looks like whipped cream on top? thank you :)

• Shnookie says

* Seriously!! It says frosting in recipe yet where doe sit go what the heck is on top? Are we supposed to guess? Nobody else has asked???

6. Rebecca says

I don’t think they would need to be served right away. I bet they would freeze perfectly without the frosting. Then when you want to eat them, take them out of the freezer and add the frosting/whipped topping and some sprinkles because sprinkles make everything more awesome!

Rebecca

• Victoria says

I was thinking the same thing. The only part I’m concerned about is the cake getting too hard in the freezer. I’ve heard that it can actually soften up after a few days because even frozen they absorb some of the liquid of the ice cream… I’m thinking it’s worth a try!

• Rebecca says

I wonder if you’d freeze the brownie with a thin layer of chocolate ice cream syrup (the one that hardens on ice cream) or a layer of carmel. Then put the ice cream on once they’re frozen to prevent the brownie from absorbing any liquid and it adds another tasty layer to the mix! Man, I am going to have fun with this recipe this summer!!

I totally hear ya on the “fails”. I had two new recipes planned for dinners this past week and both of them sucked big time! My family was probably so sick of the “lets try something new” thing lol. These look fabulous though and they are a dessert so I doubt they will complain ;) Thanks for sharing!

8. Victoria says

These look wonderful! You have got my mind cranking…. Maybe for the next party I’ll have to have a few different options. These are so pretty and would taste wonderful, so obviously they would have to be presented on a pretty white cake plate like you did. Then I think I’d also have to do a set of chocolate cinnamon cake with coffee ice cream and Mexican fudge sauce. Let’s see, how about vanilla cake with mocha almond fudge ice cream, and lemon cake with a raspberry ice cream, or other fruit ice cream…. would sherbet work, or would it melt too quickly?

Love your photography of the finished product. They’re really well presented. :)

oh my goodness, those look amazing!! I wouldn’t care what flavor, I’d eat them all!! LOL! I’m glad I saw this, and I’ll have to give them a try :) thanks for the inspiration!!

Leanne @ Because (I Think) I Can

10. Andrea says

I made these but added crushed Oreos and a layer of room temperature hot fudge between the bottom (devil’s food box cake mix) and the ice cream. Topped off with Cool Whip and sprinkles. You can eat them right out of the freezer, but they are a little stiff. Or let them sit just a bit. Either way, don’t expect there to be leftovers for very long. Oh, and I got the recipe from HungryGirl.com, and it’s all reduced calorie/fat (except for the cookies and fudge, which I added on my own), so they’re Weight Watchers friendly (if you use their recipe they give you the point value). I HIGHLY recommend them.

• Sandra says

Andrea…thank you!!! I had to scroll all the way down to your post to finally find a review of someone that made these! I appreciate the tips also.

These look so delicious! Definitely going to be making these delicious ice cream cupcakes!! Thanks for sharing. Thanks for linking up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” We would love to have you back!! -The Sisters

we love frozen cake around here, and what could be better? frozen cake WITH ice cream! I may never try these, but they sure caught my eye!
    thanks so much for sharing at catch as catch can!
    gail

Wowzers!!! That is one amazing cupcake!!!! And your picture captures it perfectly:-) My kids will love these during the summer…can’t wait to play with flavors!! Thank you so much for sharing on Trick or Treat Tuesday!!!

14. Michelle says

I love these!! Will definitely have to save this for later! I tried making some before and it was a complete fail, lol. But I did make my husband a mint chocolate chip ice cream cake for his birthday last year and it was a hit! I did it with homemade ice cream so it was still soft when I put it on the cake and then I froze it. It was fantastic!

• says

I think that would be awesome! I’ve had some readers tell me they want to try it with a brownie base. The only problem I foresee with either of those is that the base may be too hard if you’re freezing them instead of serving right away. But I think a cookie base sounds delicious! Thanks for stopping by.

xoxo
      Crystal

Crystal…please go over to my blog and enter this in my #bySandraLee contest!!! This is perfect!!! also if you have any easy tablescapes, that will work too. I will pinn it with the #bySandraLee tag!!! good luck

• says

Thank you so much Rebecca! On my original comment I forgot to leave the pin url. I left another comment with it and added another entry. :)

• Alex says

I agree, I wasn’t sure if the whip cream frosting went on before you serve or if it can be frozen? I want to try finding an ice cream cake whip cream frosting that can be frozen.

16. stephanie says

I am planning on making these this weekend! They look delicious! I was wondering when you put the frosting on. Did you put the frosting on after the ice cream and then freeze? Or did you put it on before you served? Also, what kind of frosting is this? Everything looks amazing!

Thanks!!

• says

I put the frosting on then put them in the freezer. I used regular frosting but I would suggest whipped cream then put them in the freezer. The frosting was a bit too much for me. I hope you enjoy your cupcakes! :)

• Alex says

17. Lori says

I’m thinking white cake with blue food coloring, strawberry ice cream and whipped cream for the Fourth of July.

Great idea!! This way it is portion controlled. I would just serve them in the liners or I guess pulled the liners and just put right on a little plate!! Luckily, both my hubby and I LOVE Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream!!

Thanks for the idea!!! Keep them coming!

19. Helen Harris says

Wow! what a fabulous Idea. these will be making an appearance at my next family get together dinner :)

20. Heather says

Found these on Pinterest and I LOVE THEM. My husband loves mint chocolate chip ice cream. We might make these for Father’s day! Thank you so much. I can’t wait to check out some of your other recpies.

21. Debra Kapellakis says

I am tickled to have just read about you on “Cupcakes Take The Cake”! So cool to see you there!

I love how the cake in these is more like a cupcake crust leave tons of room for the ice cream and whipped cream! Beautiful photos too! Thanks for entering and best of luck!

23. Kay says

I didn’t see when you apply the frosting in the directions??? I see that it’s optional so I may put my whipped cream icing on them. Look yummy!

Yummy!!! Ice Cream + Cupcakes with chocho chips… looks amazing. This is perfect recipe for my taste. Definitely i am gonna try this. These pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

25. Lisa Sirard says

When do I frost the cupcakes? After I have frozen them and are ready to serve? If I do it when I am ready to serve, will I have time to frost them all before they melt? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am making them today for my daughter’s birthday party tonight.

thank you!
    Lisa

• says

Hi Lisa, I’m sorry I didn’t see your comment earlier. If you’re using frosting you could frost them long before the party. You could frost them and place them back into the freezer, but I suggest you take them out about 10 minutes before serving. If you decide to use whipped cream then I definitely suggest waiting until right before serving to frost. Thank you for asking, I hope your daughter enjoys them. Have a wonderful weekend!

Crystal

26. Jessica says

These are such a good idea and they look AMAZING! Was wondering what kind of frosting you used on top of the ice cream. Just plain ole cake frosting you get in the boxed cake aisle? Thanks!

27. Cindy says

I need to make these with my husbands favorite ice cream. Blue Bunny Choc Cherry Breaduex – it’s great.

1. […] Food Photography May 6, 2012 Leave a Comment When I first started blogging I had no idea what went into having a blog or what drew readers in. What I soon realized was that having clear pictures is very important if you want to get noticed. My problem with this is that I lack knowledge in the photography department, as in I have no clue how to use my DSLR in manual mode. That’s not to say I don’t know how to use my camera at all, it’s just that I have a lot to learn. I feel as if I’ve made a big improvement over the last year and a half, especially within the last few months. For instance here are some recent pictures that I would consider my best. Twix Trifles  Brownie Bites Ice Cream Cupcakes […]