Homemade chocolate chip ice cream is easy to make with only 5 ingredients and an ice cream maker. This is a super simple and delicious creamy vanilla ice cream recipe for birthday parties and ice cream sundaes.
My kids love making homemade ice cream. We decided to add an ice cream maker to our home, and it’s been a fun summer of ice cream-making adventures. One of our go-to recipes is this simple vanilla ice cream recipe with miniature chocolate chips mixed in. It’s classic and so easy to make with few ingredients.
Tip: this recipe is great for making Ice Cream Cupcakes!
The base of this recipe is made with whole milk, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. Chocolate chips are added to the mix right before freezing. There is no churning or rock salt needed to make this recipe.
Whole milk and heavy cream help create the creamiest ice cream texture. It is not made with a custard base, meaning eggs are not added, and there’s no cooking required.
Here is a quick video tutorial on how to make ice cream in an ice cream maker.
Ingredients to make chocolate chip ice cream
- Milk – the recipe is made with whole milk to create a rich, creamy ice cream consistency. Reduced fat or low-fat milk can be used, but the higher the fat content, the creamier the texture and flavor.
- Sugar – plain white granulated sugar works best in this recipe.
- Heavy cream – the heavy cream adds richness to the ice cream recipe.
- Vanilla extract – we prefer to use good quality pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Chocolate chips – miniature chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, or regular chocolate chips will work.
Tips & tricks for homemade ice cream
- Freeze the ice cream maker bowl beforehand. We always keep the ice cream bowl in a large resealable bag in the freezer. This makes it easy to whip up a batch whenever we have a craving for homemade ice cream.
- Add mix-ins 5 minutes before the ice cream maker is done mixing.
- Store in an airtight container like this ICE CREAM TUB or tightly cover plastic wrap around a loaf pan.
More Ice Cream Ideas
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1⅛ cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups chocolate chips
- Use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the whole milk and granulated sugar; mix until sugar is dissolved (about 2 mins).
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into the frozen bowl in the ice cream machine. Mix for 20-25 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chocolate chips in the last 5 minutes.
- The ice cream will have a creamy texture at this point. Enjoy as is or place in a container to freeze for about 2 hours for a firmer consistency. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.