Homemade ice cream chocolate shell topping is easy to make with only 2 ingredients. You only need chocolate and coconut oil to create this tasty magic shell topping.
Ice cream sundaes topped with magic shell were a childhood favorite of mine. These days I make our own magic shell recipe to pair with our HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM. The kids love watching the chocolate harden into a shell topping in seconds and crack when scooped with a spoon.
This recipe is as easy as it gets and would make a great addition to an Ice Cream Sundae Gift Basket. You only need chocolate and coconut oil to make this decadent chocolate ice cream topping. The two ingredients create a syrup that hardens instantly when poured onto cold surfaces. It’s like magic!
Ingredients to make chocolate shell topping
- Chocolate – I like to mix semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate and dark chocolate. Any high-quality chocolate will work – milk, dark, sweet, or bittersweet chocolate.
- Coconut oil – the fat content in the oil helps the chocolate sauce quickly firm up when added to colder temperatures. This recipe is made with refined coconut oil liquified at room temperature.
How does the chocolate magic shell work?
The magic is in the coconut oil. Refined coconut oil will have a neutral flavor, unlike virgin coconut oil. The coconut oil is stirred into the melted chocolate to create a chocolate sauce. Once the chocolate sauce is added to colder temperatures, like a scoop of ice cream, it will begin to harden within seconds.
At first, the chocolate topping will have a shiny appearance that will dull when it’s solidified on ice cream. The fun part for the kids is trying to get sprinkles on before the magic shell sets.
How to store leftover magic shell ice cream topping
This recipe makes about a cup of chocolate shell topping. Leftover topping can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. If the sauce hardens in a colder environment, simply reheat in the microwave for a few seconds until liquified.
What can you use the magic shell on?
- My top choice is ice cream and popsicles, but the chocolate shell can also be used on various cold treats.
- Sliced frozen fruit – make bite-size treats by cutting bananas, pineapple rings, or freezing berries on parchment paper. Drizzle chocolate shell topping over the cold fruit and enjoy!
- Frozen banana pops – insert a popsicle stick in a banana and freeze on parchment paper. Cover in magic shell and freeze until ready to eat.
- Ice cream cake – make a layer of cake, then top with ice cream. Freeze until the ice cream layer holds its shape and drizzle magic shell on top. Freeze until ready to serve.
More Ice Cream Ideas:
How to make chocolate magic shell ice cream topping
Chocolate Shell Topping
- 8 oz chocolate milk, dark, or semi-sweet
- 2 tbsp refined coconut oil
- Melt chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring frequently.
- Add coconut oil to melted chocolate and stir until well combined. Remove from heat to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour over ice cream and watch the chocolate harden in seconds.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.