web analytics
Lavender Eggshell Candles
blueberry coffee cake
Gold Leaf Succulent Planter

Homemade Lemon Soap {Mother’s Day Gift Ideas}

Happy Friday, my friends! I have another Mother’s Day gift idea to share with you today. This homemade lemon soap recipe smells amazing, it’s definitely one you’ll want to try. The lemon zest gives the soap a great texture and the citrus scent will leave your hands feeling rejuvenated. With only three ingredients required this soap recipe is easy to make and makes a wonderful Mother’s Day gift.

Mother's Day Gift Ideas

If you’ve been following along my soap making adventures this year I have to say that this is my favorite so far! For this recipe I used the goat’s milk soap base again because it makes soap making a breeze and it’s available at most craft stores. Beside the citrus scent what I like is that I didn’t need to add any colorant to the soap. The lemon zest mixed with the melted soap produced a yellow color on it’s own.

Homemade Lemon Soap

Supplies:

1 1/2 cups Goat’s milk soap base, cubed

4-6 Lemon essential oil

Dried Lemon zest of 3-4 lemons

Step one: Cut soap into cubes and microwave in 30 second intervals (I like to use a large Pyrex measuring cup to melt the soap in). This recipe makes 3 bars of soap and I used about 15 cubes of goat’s milk soap base.

Step two: Melt soap for about a minute. Add another 15-30 seconds if it’s not completely melted.

Step three: Once soap cubes have liquified add a few drops of the lemon essential oil and the lemon zest; stir well.

Step four: Pour into soap molds and allow to harden for at least one hour. Press mold to release soap.

***Update: If you decide to use the lemon zest I recommend adding a preservative. For longer lasting soap omit the lemon zest and use yellow soap dye for color (if desired). The essential oil will provide enough lemon scent without the lemon zest.

Looking for more homemade Mother’s Day gift ideas? Here are some of my favorite!

Homemade Lavender Bath Salts

how to make bath salts

Honey Brown Sugar Scrub

Homemade Brown Sugar Scrub recipe

Homemade Lavender Soap

Homemade Lavender Soap

Mother's Day gift ideas and homemade soap tutorial

Thanks for stopping by!

Linking up here

Comments

1. Mmmm. Lemon soap sounds so refreshing! Soap making has been on my to-do list for a while now, I might have to give this a try before I try it “the old fashioned way”. (Yes, I actually have lard hanging out in my freezer for whenever I get the guts to try it!)

2. This is such a cute idea. The soap is absolutely beautiful with the bright and cheery yellow.
    I hope you will consider linking this up to the Pinworthy Projects Party over at my blog, Just Us Four.

3. Sarah Younker says:

How and where do I find the Goat’s milk soap base?

4. Looks and sounds refreshing.

5. I am going to have to try some of these out! They look amazing!! I am a new follower from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and hopefully you will want to follow me back! Happy weekend, Nicole!

6. crystal! what an awesome gift for mom! i think we’re going to give it a try :) thanks for sharing! ♥

7. Beautiful. I’ll bet this smells really good and makes the bathroom smell fresh! Thanks for the recipe!

8. JaneEllen says:

You make it sound very easy so to challenge my cowardly ways I’m gonna have to try it. Love lovely smelling soaps for freshening bathrooms. What could be better than lemon? I’ve printed out your other home beauty aids also. Wonderful gifts for anytime, so glad you shared these ideas.Happy Weekend.
    I have some pretty soaps I bought about 4 yrs. ago and they still have a fragrance after I put them in a jar or bag for little while to refresh their fragrance. To me that’s a big luxury. Love to pretty up our bathrooms for Spring or any season.

9. Just shared on Facebook and Pinned! This looks amazing Crystal, all of your Mother’s Day ideas are wonderful. Have a great weekend :)

xo, Tanya

10. This is a beautiful soap! And it’s EASY ~ finally I can try to make some!!! Thank you for sharing at the Nifty Thrifty party. PIN’d!! =)

11. Oh Crystal this soap looks so delightful!

12. Hi Crystal, I absolutely love lemon and this soap sounds heavenly! Thank you so much for sharing and am pinning! Happy Sunday!

13. This is such a pretty looking soap!

14. Do you sell your creations on Etsy?

15. Lakota says:

Can you use rice milk instead of goat milk base?

• Lakota » Hi Lakota! I don’t think that will work, but I’ve never tried it. I’m using an actual soap base that’s solid and melts then is put into a mold which then hardens again. You can find the soap base online or at your local craft store. I hope that helps!

16. Crystal says:

Your soaps look so pretty!! What a treat for any mom!!

17. I love following along on your soap making adventures! These look so pretty, and I bet smell amazing! I need to jump on the bandwagon and try making some! Thanks for sharing at Time To Sparkle : )

xoxo Liz

18. Shelley says:

Where would I buy Goat Milk Soap Base?

19. Hi! Where can I buy the goat’s milk soap base? Or it is possible, that I would make it, whit oil, whater and sosa?
    Thanks!

• Gretelain » I’m sorry I haven’t used that method. I find using the soap base really easy to do and you can find it online at ConsumerCrafts.com or at a craft store like Michaels and Hobby Lobby. I hope that helps! :)

20. So pretty! It looks fabulous and I bet it smells great!

21. This looks so pretty. I’ll bet it smells good, too!

22. Beautiful. I love lemon, and I love lavender. And I love them together. Your lemon bars (soap) look edible. Lemon is such a happy smell. (Very good pictures, by the way). Lynaea

23. Love this idea Crystal..I bet it smells wonderful!

24. Fun! I’ve never tried making my own soap but it is something I want to try. When I was shopping recently I smelled some anise soap and since I love black licorice, it smelled amazing!

25. Will be sharing on FB. This has to be such a refreshing, feel clean soap. Great gift.

Consider yourself hugged,

26. Leslie says:

I found your blog via The Shabby Creek Cottage Transformation Thursday and I’m loving your homemade spa recipes. I’m now following you through email! Great ideas!

27. Love lemon! I bet this would make the whole bathroom smell amazing!

28. Oh I love the smell of fresh lemon! I bet this is fabulous soap. I need to try it :)

29. Oh, this is awesome! I love it!!!

30. I love all your soaps but that one sounds really great … and it’s so pretty and springlike! Thanks for sharing at Project Inspire{d}!

31. I can almost smell this through my computer …you take such tantalizing photos :)

Great gift ideas!! I’ll give it a shot.

32. Your soap-making adventures are as equally YUMMY-looking as well as clean and delightful. So fun, Crystal!

33. Thanks for this tutorial…I’ve always wanted to try making soap.

34. Stunning! My sister makes homemade soap and I’ve always been intrigued, but she does the lye method. This looks so much easier for a newbie like me. Plus, that color…

35. That is such a pretty soap and I bet it smells amazing!!!!

36. Have you tried using fresh basal to make soap? Do you think it would work?

• Elaine » I haven’t but I think it would make a lovely addition! I would make sure the basal is finely chopped. Thanks for stopping by! :)

37. I don’t own a microwave. Could I melt the soap in an old pot instead?
    Thanks!

• Bernadette » Definitely! I’ve made soap in a double boiler several times, just stir the soap periodically to make sure it melts evenly. Thanks for stopping by! :)

38. So gorgeous!!!!

39. You have to be careful of adding fresh lemon rind , it can start to break down , mold / bacteria . Not trying to be a killjoy , just safety first . Add a preservative , when using something in your soap that can break down .
    Grapefruit seed extract, rosemary extract and vitamin E oil are good preservatives .

• Debbie » Hi Debbie, that’s a great tip! I’ve added vitamin e oil to homemade scrubs but didn’t think to add it to soap. Thanks for sharing! :)

40. This sounds amazing. Lemon is one of my favourite scents! Thanks for the simple recipe!

41. I love all these ideas. Might try these for my daughter’s next birthday. She wants a spa birthday party!

42. I love all these ideas. Might try these for my daughter’s next birthday. She wants a spa birthday party!

43. Stephanie Violet! says:

Heya!

Just a word from a soapmaker – using fresh anything will result in moldy bits in your soap! Using a
    Preservative will prove tricky, especially with a melt & pour base like you’re using! Grapefruit seed extract will provide some preservative aspects, but rosemary extract and vitamin e are just antioxidants used to help prolong the freshness of oils in soap making! If you want to incorporate herbs or peels, go ahead, but dry them first! Dried mint or basil or orange rind will be a lovely addition to the soap!

Also, make sure your soap base isn’t boiling hot, as essential oils have certain evaporation points — add the EO to too hot soap and all the volatile oils (the good smelling stuff!) will be released in a sort if scent wave and there will be very little left in the actual soap!

Happy soaping!

(Check out my friend’s DIY soap making studio – The Nova Studio — for some awesome classes!!)

Xo,
    Violet

• Stephanie Violet! » Hi Stephanie, thank you SO much for sharing your knowledge! I’ve read contradicting articles on soap preservatives and have yet to try them because I’m not sure which actually preserve. If it’s ok with you I’m going to edit the post to include a “reader suggestion” quote from you on what preservatives to use. Thanks again, Stephanie!

44. A question from a person whose never made soap before: Do I need to put in the essential oil? I’ve heard they can be bad for you. For the lemon scent could I just put in lemon juice and zest, even if it won’t look as yellow?
    Thanks for this recipe im excited to try it!

• Aly » Hi Aly, I haven’t tried that method but I recommend using the soap immediately as it may mold without a preservative. I’m still learning about preservatives to help the lemon zest from molding and will update my post to share what a reader suggested. Thanks for stopping by!

45. Thanks for sharing!!! I just made this soap with my kids for Father’s Day and added some vitamin e oil to it…it is lovely!!! It smells wonderful and the color is gorgeous!

46. Jennifer says:

Great idea! I would recommend omitting the lemon zest for dried lemon peel (easy find at health food stores) since there is no way to properly preserve it in m&p soap. The effect and color would be much the same and there won’t be mold growing. As for vitamin e, it can extend shelf life a touch but is not a preservative. BTW your photos are absolutely gorgeous. Keep on soaping! ~Jennifer
    P.S. I’m a handmade soap and body product maker/business owner and if you have any questions or ever need help don’t hesitate to get in touch with me.

47. Hi, when I go to order the soap base online it is sold by the pound.. How many pounds do I need for this recipe? I’m a first timer :)

• Crystal Owens says:

I used a two pound block and it was divided into small cubes. I used about a third of the entire block of soap to make 3 bars. Hope that helps! :)

48. If you don’t want to use the Lemon Zest & preservative, you can use dried Lemon Peel bits and/or Lemon Peel Powder. Make your own or purchase from internet (I buy a lot of herbs botanicals etc from Natures Garden as well as Starwest botanicals) I’ve made my own dried citrus slices and rind bits and powder. Makes for pretty decorations and embeds.

49. I bet it smells lovely. I know the scent is strong and will linger in your bath after. Thats what I love about lemon and citrus fragrance soaps period.