How to make a campfire mug candle. This easy tutorial will show you how to turn new or vintage mugs into soy candles. Includes a quick video tutorial and candle making tips.
DIY Mug Candle
Candle making is one of my favorite hobbies. They’re quick and simple to make, and the possibilities are endless. I enjoy making soy candles to give for the holidays, birthdays and Mother’s Day. They make lovely gifts, especially in gift baskets, and very easy to make with a few simple supplies.
I’ve had this set of campfire mugs and knew they would work well for candles. The mug I’m using is from Amazon, it’s thick and sturdy – perfect for making candles out of. Feel free to use an old campfire mug you’ve had over the years or a vintage find from thrifting. If you prefer the mug I’m using, I’ll link them below – they come in multiple colors!
To make your own candles at home you will need soy wax flakes, wood or soy wicks, glue and a jar or thick mug. I’m using a combination of forest pine and cranberry scented oil for this candle. I wanted a holiday scent combo that reminds me of the outdoors and the holidays. The fragrance oil set linked below has some great scent options or you can use your favorite essential oils.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links
More Handmade Candle Ideas:
- Peppermint Mason Jar Candle
- Lavender Candle
- Birthday Cake Candle
- Beeswax Candles
- DIY Peony Mason Jar Candles
Candle making supplies:
Quick video tutorial on how to make campfire mug candles
How to make a campfire mug candle
• To make a campfire mug candle you will need 3 cups of soy wax flakes per candle.
• Begin by gluing the wick to the center of the mug; firmly hold in place until glue is set.
• Use a candle wax melting pot over a double boiler to melt soy wax. Candle wax can also be melted in the microwave using a large Pyrex glass cup; stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
• Remove melted wax from heat and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before adding fragrance oil.
• Stir in 15-20 drops fragrance oil into melted wax, then pour into mug.
• Allow candle to set for a few hours, preferably overnight.
• Trim wick to ¼ inch before lighting.
• Always use caution when burning candles and trim wick if needed.