Easter Chick Oreo Balls are made with a yellow chocolate shell and filled with an OREO truffle center. This adorable no-bake treat is easy for kids to make and sweet addition to an Easter brunch dessert menu or Springtime celebration.
Decorating oreo cookie balls is one of my favorite activities with the kids. They like finding new ways to make fun shapes and decorating ideas. Sometimes we luck out with a silicone mold that already has a festive design, like Easter chicks. We knew we could create bite-size oreo truffles with a chocolate shell layer in an Easter chick shape.
Our Favorite Easter Recipes:
What you will need
- Oreo cookies – regular or golden oreo work well in this recipe. Double-stuffed Oreos may affect the texture because of the filling.
- Cream cheese – softened cream cheese blends with the oreo crumbs to create a truffle-like texture and makes the recipe no-bake.
- Candy melting wafers – we used yellow candy wafers for the body, orange for the feet and beak, and black for the eyes.
- Easter Chick silicone mold – the mold used for this project is from Michaels. Check local craft stores for small candy molds.
How to make Easter chicks OREO balls
- Start by melting candy wafers according to package directions. Use a small food-safe brush or toothpick to carefully fill the silicone mold in the areas for the eyes, beak, and feet. The chocolate should be set before adding the yellow chocolate layer.
- Add about a teaspoon of melted yellow chocolate to the silicone mold. Use a spatula to spread the chocolate along with the mold until all areas are covered. The amount of chocolate needed will depend on the size of the mold. The goal is to make sure the outer layer doesn’t have empty gaps and has enough room to fill with the oreo mixture. Allow the chocolate to set before moving to the final step.
- Fill in the center with the oreo truffle mixture. Then carefully cover with an additional layer of yellow chocolate. Use a spatula to scrape off any remaining chocolate.
How to store Easter OREO Truffles
Keep the oreo cookie truffles in the refrigerator until ready to serve. If gifting, place in an airtight container or bag that can be chilled until ready to gift.
Easter Chick OREO Balls
- 36 OREO Cookies
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 12 oz yellow melting wafers
- 1/4 cup orange melting wafers
- 1/4 cup black melting wafers
- Pulse OREO cookies into fine crumbs in a food processor.
- Combine cookie crumbs with softened cream cheese in the food processor, with a spatula, or hand mixer until well mixed. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Melt orange and black wafers in small bowls for 30 seconds. Stir and melt for an additional 15-30 seconds or until melted. Use a small food-safe brush, piping bag, or toothpick to carefully add melted chocolate to the silicone mold for the eyes beak, and feet. Refrigerate for a couple of minutes to set.
- Melt the yellow candy wafers, stirring every 30 seconds, and pour about a teaspoon or two into the mold cavity. Spread the chocolate along the edges then refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- Press the oreo mixture into the center of the candy mold cavity, leaving a small gap to cover. Reheat the yellow wafers, if needed, and cover the top of the oreo truffle.
- After the chocolate has been set, carefully remove the treats from the mold and repeat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.