How to make fabric flowers using a Kanzashi flower tool. This round petal Kanzashi flower tutorial is easy to do and great for making hair clips, floral headbands and fabric flower pins.
Kanzashi are hair ornaments used in Japanese hairstyles. A kanzashi flower is traditionally made from folded cloth. You can use these fabric flowers for hair clips, headbands, to decorate frames, and even create floral centerpieces.
To make the flowers I used a Clover kanzashi flower tool. The original method of making kanzashi flowers involves cutting a square piece of fabric and folding it into a petal. This little tool makes is easy to create the petals with very little work involved. Here is a quick tutorial on how to make round petal kanzashi flowers.
Fabric Flower Maker
- Kanzashi Flower Maker another great option is this Daisy Flower Tool Maker
- Fabric square slightly larger than flower tool
- Buttons – these pearl buttons are beautiful
How to make fabric flowers
- Cut a square piece of fabric and lay it right side up. Place the plate on top then sandwich the flower in between the plates and snap close.
- Trim off the excess fabric.
- Tie a large knot at the end of your thread and begin sewing through the plate. The plate is numbered, making it easy to know where to start and where the stitches should go.
- Once you reach the end point open the plate and carefully pull the thread to create a petal.
- Using the same thread continue making petals and pulling them closer together until you have five petals complete.
- Once you reach the end tie the beginning knot and the end of the thread together. The tool instructions say to sew through the first petal but I found it made the first petal appear too tight. If you find that your fabric flower is too loose then sew through the first petal and tie a knot.
- Glue a small piece of felt on the bottom and add a button or rhinestone on top to finish the flower.