Oreo balls are fun and festive to make for holiday gatherings. These snowman Oreo balls are made with only a handful of ingredients and are perfect for a Christmas party. This simple, no-bake treat is dipped in white chocolate, decorated with black icing, orange carrot sprinkles, and a mini Oreo cookie for a top hat.
My kids love making holiday Oreo balls. Years ago, we made melting snowmen Oreo truffles, and they were a big hit. This tasty Christmas dessert recipe is as easy as it gets. The base recipe is made with crushed Oreo cookies and cream cheese. Then you can shape the mixture into balls or holiday shapes to decorate.
If you’re looking for a fun activity to try with kids this holiday season, then look no further than these adorable snowman treats. You can use colorful sprinkles for the face, icing, and candy or mini Oreo cookies for the hat. The kids will have a blast decorating their snowmen and, of course, eating their tasty creations.
Ingredient ts to make snowman Oreo truffles
- Oreo cookies – classic or gluten-free Oreos work best in this recipe.
- Cream cheese – this ingredient is what makes the recipe so simple. It helps bind the cookie crumbs together to create an easy truffle dessert.
- White chocolate – vanilla candy melting wafers work best in this recipe. White chocolate chips can be used but may require a small amount of coconut oil to help with the consistency.
- Black icing – any black icing from the baking aisle will do. An edible black marker will also work.
- Mini Oreo cookies – the top hat is a bite-size oreo cookie placed on top, slightly to one side. Rolo candies and mini Reese’s cups can also be used.
- Orange sprinkles or icing – this time of year, you may be able to find small orange carrot-shaped sprinkle decorations. Another option is to use orange icing or edible markers.
How to make Snowman OREO Balls
Here is a quick video tutorial on how to make the base recipe. For more tips & tricks, check out our 3-ingredient OREO Ball recipe post.
- Mix the softened cream cheese and crushed Oreos into a creamy mixture.
- Scoop into 1-inch balls and refrigerate until firm. Use a COOKIE SCOOP to make 1-inch oreo balls.
- Dip in melted chocolate, then decorate with sprinkles and a mini Oreo cookie for the hat. Add black icing for the eyes and mouth after the chocolate has set.
- To create a melting snowman effect, allow some white chocolate to pool underneath the Oreo ball. Instead of shaking off the excess when dipping in white chocolate, place it on a parchment-covered baking sheet and let the chocolate settle on the bottom.
How to decorate snowman truffles
- For the top hat, use mini Oreo cookies, Rolo candy, or mini Reese’s cups.
- Black sprinkles or icing works best for the snowman’s mouth. The eyes can also be decorated with black sprinkles or icing. Another great idea is to use blue or green sprinkles for the eyes.
- The carrot sprinkles might be tricky to find, but you can use orange icing instead. The carrot sprinkles are from Wilton and came in a pack with black sprinkles for the buttons.
- Keep the oreo balls refrigerated until ready to serve. The texture is best when chilled and will quickly soften the longer they sit out.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze in an airtight container for 2 months.
More holiday Oreo ball ideas:
Snowman Oreo Balls
- 36 Oreo cookies regular or gluten-free
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 12 oz white chocolate melting wafers
- 24 mini Oreo cookies
- carrot sprinkles
- black icing
- Crush Oreo cookies in a food processor into fine crumbs.
- Mix in cream cheese until well combined. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
- Scoop into 1-inch balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Melt vanilla wafers according to package directions. Dip oreo ball into melted chocolate and shake off excess before placing on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Immediately press mini oreo cookie on top for the hat and a carrot sprinkle for the nose. If using black sprinkles for the eyes, add them while the chocolate is still melted. Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the chocolate is set, decorate the mouth (and eyes if not using sprinkles) with black icing.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Wrap in an airtight freezer-friendly container to freeze for up to 2 months.