Snowy Ornaments made with glass or plastic ornament balls, Epsom salt, glitter, glue, and decorative Christmas greenery. This Christmas craft was inspired by our popular Snowy Mason Jars and is an easy way to add snowball ornaments to your holiday decorations.
It doesn’t snow where we live in California, and it makes me long for a white Christmas. Instead of wishing we’d move closer to snowy areas, I make snow-themed crafts like Epsom salt mason jars and snowy ornament balls.
Epsom Salt Snowball Ornament Balls
These snowy ornament balls are made with Epsom salt and sparkling white glitter. The combination adds beautiful texture and sparkle to holiday crafts.
Epsom salt is an inexpensive craft supply you can use to make holiday DIYs. We use it to fill jars to create a snowy scene with holiday décor, ornaments, and Epsom salt ornament gifts.
I will share how you can create your own Epsom salt ornaments for the holidays.
Supplies to make Epsom salt ornaments
- Ornament balls – white or frosted ornament balls work best for this project.
- Epsom salt – grab a bag of Epsom salt to use for holiday crafts and DIY gifts like bath salt ornaments.
- White glitter – add sparkle to your decorations by mixing glitter with the Epsom.
- Mod podge or heavy-duty clear glue – is readily available and works great. If you’re worried about the Epsom salt falling off, heavy-duty clear glue will have a stronghold on the Epsom salt.
- Greenery & poinsettia embellishments – find holly, faux greenery, and berries at a local craft store floral department. The dollar store is also a great place to buy inexpensive greenery to cut into small pieces for this project.
Tips for making Epsom salt ornaments
- I’ve learned from making Snowy Mason Jars that some of the Epsom salt will fall off as the ornament is moved around over time. Using a white ornament ball makes it less noticeable, but you can add more glue and Epsom salt to fill in patches.
- Heavy-duty gorilla glue is also a great alternative to craft glue.
- Use a spray sealer to help protect the Epsom salt from falling off.
- Decorate the top of the ornaments with a ribbon to coordinate your tree theme.
- Add small poinsettias flowers from the scrapbooking section or faux flowers from the holiday floral section at a craft store.
- Use the snowy ornaments to decorate a Christmas tree, garland or to add to gift wrap.
More DIY Christmas Crafts:
How to make Snowy Ornaments (VIDEO TUTORIAL)
- 6 ornament balls
- 1 cup epsom salt
- 1/4 cup glitter
- Combine Epsom salt and white glitter together in a small bowl.
- Start by applying glue around the ornament ball. The key is to use a generous amount without having excess adhesive dripping down.
- Sprinkle the glittered Epsom salt over the ornament until fully covered. Set the ornaments on a protected surface or silicone mat to dry overnight. Tip: use a strong spray sealant once the ornaments are dry to help protect the Epsom salt from falling off.
- Once the ornaments are thoroughly dried, trim and hot glue greenery to the top of the ornament ball. Add a bow or small poinsettia flower embellishment to the center.