Homemade Lavender Soap

Last week I shared how to make honey brown sugar scrub and today I’m back with a soap tutorial. This lavender soap tutorial is so easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. Once you try soap making you’ll love making soap to give to friends and family.

DIY Lavender Soap

I haven’t made soap in years, not since I made the cupid soap bars to give as Christmas gifts, but I’ve had this Goat’s soap bar for months and knew it was time to put it to use. I used the leftover lavender from my lavender mason jar tutorial.
Lavender soap tutorial

Supplies:

Goat’s milk soap base

Lavender essential oil

dry lavender

soap colorant (optional)

***update: I recommend adding a preservative or omitting the lavender if the soap will not be used immediately. I’ve read vitamin e oil can help preserve natural items like lavender but have yet to try it. I’ll keep you updated when I do. :)

DIY Lavender Soap

To make three lavender soap bars you will need about 13 goat’s milk soap cubes.

1. Cut soap into cubes and place in a double boiler or microwave in 30 second intervals (I used a large pyrex measuring cup over a double boiler).

2. Melt soap over low-medium heat.

3. Once soap cubes turn liquid add a few drops of lavender extract, colorant, and lavender; stir well. The lavender will naturally float to the top as you can see in the picture above.

4. Pour into soap molds and allow to harden for at least one hour. Press mold to release soap.

And there you have it..your own lavender soap bars!

I made one without purple colorant and two with the colorant. There are also plenty of ways to naturally color your soap if you prefer to not use dyes. I do suggest using essential oils over fragrance oils though, both can be found at your local craft store.

Supplies used:

Goat’s soap base

Lavender essential oil & soap colorant from Michaels

Soap molds from Hobby Lobby

Recipe for Homemade Coffee Soap

homemade soap tutorial

Thanks for stopping by!

Homemade Lavender Soap

Comments

• says

Tonia@thegunnysack » Thanks Tonia! I have this big bundle I picked up at my grocery store so I’ve been thinking of ways to use it. It smells wonderful in my house. I hope you have a great weekend, sweet friend! :)

What a lovely project – I have thought about doing this from time to time. I have an allergic reaction to vitamin e, and have to be super careful about bath and beauty projects. This would also be a great way to use my dry lavender. Thanks for the tutorial and hope you can stop by the enchanted oven to say hi!
    xo,
    Lisa

I love using my lavender in soaps. We make our soap from scratch and grind up the buds to act as scrubbies and then put some whole ones on top. Makes great soap. Since we want to keep the soap natural, we never add any artificial color.

Wonderful, I have lavender, I love goat’s milk soap & this looks lovely! Thank you for this way to combine all of these things into one simple tutorial.

Hello sweet friend,

Saw this on Pinterest! I am trying to make lavender soap (bought a giant bag of lavender at a yard sale)..but I wondered how you got the soap purple? This looks like such an amazing project!

blessings,
    karianne

• says

Thistle » This Hi Karianne! I used a soap colorant that I found at Michaels. Its a small bottle that you squeeze a few drops into your melted soap then stir until you achieve your desired color. I hope that helps! :)

I agree – these would make a wonderful gift! I just love the scent of lavender – brings back the hope of Spring!!! Hope you are having a great week!
    Jenn xo

This looks wonderful! I am always on the lookout for a great soap, and what a better way then to make my own. I am going to give this a try. Thanks for the great tut;)

These are beautiful! I am a huge fan of lavender. I use a few drops of lavender essential oil in my nighttime bath. The soaps would be a great addition! {visiting from knock our socks off!}

Oh thank you so much for sharing. I am in love with goat milk soap and almost out. Now that I know how to make it I will never have that problem again.

Hugs
    The Glitter Tart

9. Lyn says

I have a giant bush of lavender in my yard so this would be a great project. Where exactly do you purchase goat’s milk soap base?

10. Liliana says

Hi there! How much of the goat milk soap base did you use in grams? Thank you very much! Love the hand made soaps :)