Hocus Pocus spell book oreo balls made with only five ingredients. This spellbinding spooky treat is a festive dessert for a Halloween party or Hocus Pocus movie night.
Halloween is right around the corner, and the new Hocus Pocus movie has inspired us to create a new spell book treat. The Hocus Pocus Rice Krispies Treats are one of our favorite holiday traditions to make, so we decided to try an Oreo Ball version.
We love how spooky these Hocus Pocus oreo balls turned out! They’re perfect for a Hocus Pocus movie night or party theme.
Halloween Spell Book OREO Balls
OREO Balls are easy to make and are always a crowd favorite at parties. The main recipe is made with only oreo cookies and cream cheese. The mixture can be molded into fun shapes like Pumpkin OREO Balls, Cauldron OREO Balls, and Frankenstein OREO Balls. The possibilities are endless!
This Halloween oreo ball recipe is made in a rectangle silicone mold and then dipped in chocolate. An edible candy eye and black melting chocolate decorate the bewitchingly delicious treat to resemble the creepy Hocus Pocus spell book.
Ingredients to make this Halloween treat
- OREO Cookies – regular or gluten-free cookies work best in this recipe. Double-stuffed changes the texture of the cream cheese and cookie crumbs balance, but seasonal flavors will also work.
- Cream Cheese – cream cheese is the secret ingredient to making the base of oreo balls with only two ingredients. The cream cheese helps bind the cookie crumbs together for an easy no-bake treat.
- Chocolate – milk or dark chocolate melting wafers coat the oreo balls to resemble the color of the spell book.
- Black melting wafers – add decorative designs along the edges of the oreo ball inspired by the spell book.
- Candy eyes – the smallest candy eyes work best on this size of oreo truffles.
- Silicone Mold – a rentagle mold helps ensure the treats are the same size and makes the process quicker to assemble.
How to make Hocus Pocus Oreo Balls – VIDEO TUTORIAL
- Add one package of oreo cookies to a food processor to pulse into fine crumbs. Another method is to crush it in a sealed bag with a rolling pin.
- Combine softened cream cheese and cookie crumbs; press mixture into silicone rectangle mold. Refrigerate until firm.
- Dip the truffle into melted chocolate, place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and immediately add a candy eye on top. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Pipe melted black wafers or icing along the sides of the book.
Tips & Tricks for OREO Balls
- Place cream cheese at room temperature for at least one hour before starting the recipe. The softened cream cheese will be easier to mix into the cookie crumbs.
- If the truffles don’t hold their shape as they are released from the mold, place them in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- The book shaped can be made by hand without a mold, similar to the Frankenstein treats.
- Keep OREO balls refrigerated until ready to serve. The cream cheese will begin to soften at room temperature and change the texture of the truffles. They are best-tasting when firm.
Hocus Pocus Oreo Balls
- 36 OREO cookies
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 cups melting chocolate wafers
- 1/4 cup black melting wafers
- 24 candy eyes
- Place one package of OREO cookies into a food processor. Pulse into fine crumbs.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and cookie crumbs until white streaks are no longer visible.
- Press a tablespoon into the silicone mold cavity, adding more or less as needed. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Melt chocolate wafers according to package directions. Dip oreo balls into melted chocolate, shake off excess chocolate and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Add candy eye to the center-right side of the truffle. Refrigerate until the chocolate has set.
- Melt black wafers and place them in a piping bag. Decorate with melted chocolate along the left and right sides to resemble the Hocus Pocus spell book.
- Keep oreo ball truffles refrigerated until ready to serve.