Spooky black and white Halloween mason jars to light-up your mantel, Halloween porch, or tablescape. This project is easy to make and features a haunted house mason jar, flying bats, and a spiderweb mason jar crawling with spiders.
Halloween is right around the corner and I couldn’t wait to get started on Halloween projects. You may have noticed that I love a good mason jar craft. Some of my Halloween favorites are The Nightmare Before Christmas mason jars. I also love Black and white Halloween decorations. Classic black and white Halloween décor with a hint of glam, like this Black & White Pumpkin, is what I always gravitate towards. So, it’s no surprise that I decided our Halloween home décor this year needed some new spooky mason jars.
Halloween Mason Jars
To make this project I used large mason jars from the Target dollar spot. The tallest jar measures at about 9 ½ inches tall and the smaller two are 7 inches. There is a 3-inch-wide opening that provides enough space to fit a pillar candle or battery-operated light.
The jars are covered in frosted glass spray paint. This gives the black vinyl cutouts a silhouette appearance and tied in the black and white them perfectly. To cover the jars, 1-2 coats is all you need to give them a frosted appearance. One coat makes them semi-translucent, while two coats will give them an opaque finish.
I’ve added Amazon affiliate links to the supply list below
Halloween mason jar supplies
- Mason jars
- Black adhesive vinyl
- Frosted spray paint
- Silhouette cameo
- Transfer tape
- Ribbon or black raffia
- Battery operated candles
Don’t have a cutting machine? Try adding Halloween stickers! This is an easy craft option for kids to make. Another method is to use a craft punch to cut the vinyl.
How to make Halloween mason jars
- Measure the height and width of the front of the jars and adjust your designs accordingly in the Silhouette Studio. The silhouette designs used to make this project are:
Haunted House: 12762
- Cut the vinyl on a Silhouette cameo using the matte vinyl setting.
- Remove excess vinyl and apply to the front of the jar using transfer tape. This is my favorite transfer tape! The grid lines are helpful when applying the design and the tape has the right amount of stickiness without being too hard to remove the vinyl.
- The haunted house design will need to be applied in a couple of different sections. I suggest trimming each layer separately to apply with its own piece of transfer tape. In this case, the hill was applied first. Then the house, graveyard, and the bats were last.
- For the spiderweb mason jar, I used the same spiderweb design but adjusted them in multiple sizes then covered the entire jar. Small plastic spiders are glued on with hot glue around the jar.
- To decorate the mouth of the jars, tie a bow using black raffia. The large jar has a ribbon glued on with bat cutouts. I couldn’t decide between the bat ribbon or the black raffia, so I used both.
Now I need to decide between displaying them on our Halloween mantel or dining room table. I may even make a few more to decorate our front porch. What a fun way to welcome trick or treaters with glowing mason jar luminaries!
If you love a good black and white Halloween theme, then here are 15 amazing Halloween crafts you can easily make. Gather your ghoul-friends and make a craft night out of it!
Black and White Halloween Ideas
- Customize your own Addams Family print or Halloween sign with this DIY tutorial.
- Add these Black and White Spiderweb Cupcakes to your Halloween party or scary movie night – they are oh, so creepy!
- Decorate your front door with a striped black and white wreath with tiny glitter pumpkins.
- This Halloween Cake Topper is the perfect way to spruce up a plain cake.
- DIY Jack Skellington Mason Jars make a great table centerpiece for a Halloween party.
- How to make a light-up sign using twinkle lights – DIY Something Wicked This Way Comes Canvas
- Another easy mason jar craft is this etched glass Halloween luminary.
- Cheesecloth Mummy Lanterns made with only 3 craft supplies.
- Here’s another spider mason jar craft idea you can make with a craft punch or stickers.
- These ghost mason jars are too cute and so easy to make. Gather up the kids to make this Halloween craft in under 20 minutes.
- This Floral Moon Pumpkin is stunning! Paint a pumpkin black and add fresh white flowers in the shape of a crescent moon.
- Mummy Cupcakes are fun for a kid’s classroom treat!
- This spooky tablescape is filled with cute ideas!
- Ghost Cookies made with Oreos and a ghost mold – simple and adorable!
- Top a Black & White Pumpkin with a witch hat and rhinestone BOO! stickers