Embellish candle jars with heart-shaped designs to make custom Valentine’s Day décor for your holiday mantel or table. This easy DIY Valentine’s Day craft is made with dollar store candles, vinyl, and a Silhouette Cameo.
This craft project was made in partnership with Expressions Vinyl.
Valentine’s Day Candles DIY
Valentine’s Day is a holiday I tend to go the minimalist route with décor. While I go all out for Halloween and the holidays, this lovely holiday tends to get slightly overlooked. That’s not to say I don’t love making delicious treats, like this Valentine’s Day Dessert Board and Valentine Mason Jars, but in February I’m still in the decluttering mode the new year brings. To help make our home feel a bit festive for the kids I’ll usually add a heart garland to the mantle and some pink candles around the living room.
Simple and easy, that seems to be my mantra during the first few months of the new year. This Valentine’s Day craft is quick and easy to make with dollar store candles. I’m also sharing a few more ways to decorate store-bought candles for your home or to give your Galantine!
Where to find candles for this project
- The Dollar Store
- Craft stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann
- Target and Walmart
- Or you can make your own DIY Mason Jar Candles
Materials needed for this craft project:
- Matte Black Vinyl from Expressions Vinyl
- Transfer Tape
- Candle Jars
- Silhouette Cameo
- Silhouette Designs: 284754, 114865, 174973, 312275, 312569
More DIY Candle Ideas
How to decorate Valentine’s Day Candles
- The first step is to remove any labels from the candle jars. Some may peel off easily, while others may require goo gone or a wet towel.
- Measure the height and width of the candle jars. Once you have your designs loaded in Silhouette Studio, adjust the length and width to fit the front of each candle. The tall candle designs are sized to about 6 inches wide. You can play around with the dimensions to your preference.
- Adjust the Cameo settings to cut matte vinyl and place the vinyl on the cutting mat. Load the mat and begin cutting.
- Carefully remove the excess vinyl from the sheet. Add transfer tape on top of the designs and trim. The grid transfer tape is essential, in my opinion, for all vinyl projects. It helps align everything perfectly and the clear grid makes it easy to see how the vinyl is being applied.
- Press the vinyl onto the candle jars, pressing in the center first and then smoothing the vinyl alone curve of the jar. Gently peel the transfer tape off.
- Optional: wrap twine around the top of the jars to create a small bow.
A few more ways to decorate jars for Valentine’s Day
- Another option is to find colored candle jars. They’re usually pretty easy to find at craft stores. This one is from Michaels and I just love the way the intertwined hearts look on this candle jar shape. I also found some mini pink candles to apply sketchy heart designs on.
- My new favorite way to make candles is to use campfire mugs. You can make your own using this DIY MUG CANDLE TUTORIAL. I plan to turn this mug into a candle to give a friend. The plaid design for the hearts is meant to have a layer underneath with a contrasting color but I liked the idea of having the pink and black buffalo plaid.
More Valentine’s Day ideas: