Round Petal Kanzashi Flower Tutorial

Hey friends! I’ve been a little MIA this week soaking up the 80 degree weather we’re having. Spring is definitely here in California with gorgeous sunny days and flowers blooming all around. This weekend we have plans to start getting our garden ready for planting, the kids are really looking forward to it! If Spring hasn’t arrived where you are and you’re ready for bright, colorful flowers then you’ll like this fabric flower tutorial. This round petal Kanzashi flower tutorial is so easy to make that you’ll be hooked once you get started.

Easy Fabric Flower Tutorial

You can use these fabric flowers for hair clips, headbands, to decorate frames with, and even create flower centerpieces with. Next week I’ll show you a few ideas of what I’m making with them and a few other flower shapes.

To make the flowers I used the Clover kanzashi flower tool at Hobby Lobby. I also saw the tools at Jo-Ann, Michaels, and on Amazon. The original method of making kanzashi flowers involves cutting a square piece of fabric and folding it into a petal. This little tool makes is easy to create the petals with very little work involved. Here is a quick tutorial on how to make round petal kanzashi flowers:

Kanzashi Flower Maker
Fabric square slightly larger than flower tool

fabric flower tutorial

Step 1:

Cut a square piece of fabric and lay it right side up. Place the plate on top then “sandwich” the flower in between the plates and snap close.

Step 2:

Remove the excess fabric.

Step 3:

Tie a large knot at the end of your thread and begin sewing through the plate. The plate is numbered, making it easy to know where to start and where the stitches should go. I’m telling you, this tool makes these flowers very easy to make!

Step 4:

Once you reach the end point open the plate and carefully pull the thread to create a petal.

Step 5:

Using the same thread continue making petals and pulling them closer together until you have five petals complete.

Step 6:

Once you reach the end tie the beginning knot and the end of the thread together. The tool instructions say to sew through the first petal but I found it made the first petal appear too tight. If you find that your flower is too loose then sew through the first petal and tie a knot.

Step: 7

Glue a small piece of felt on the bottom and add a button or rhinestone on top to finish the flower.

Fabric Flower Tutorial

fabric flower tutorial

Thanks for stopping by!

Linking up here

Super cute! I made a few of these several years ago (not with a kit though) and I don’t remember mine being nearly this cute :) Also, yay for warm weather! We’ve been dry for about a week, which is always big, and nearly 60 today so I went out on a great walk with my youngest this afternoon.

Hello. Your flowers are absolutely adorable and cute. I may have to make them someday. Thank you for sharing. Found you on do something crafty Friday.

Love how they turned out, Crystal!! I had always wondered how you made these flowers… who knew?! Thanks for sharing with us this week at the Monday Funday link party!

Take care,

Those flowers are SO very cute! Thanks for sharing how you made them. I have never heard of that tool…is it usually in the fabric notions section? About how much does it cost? I saw your post over at Under the Table and Dreaming.

Oh! Those are so darling! Thank you for the great tutorial! I will be making some of these for sure!

Have a great week!

We’re having the same amazing weather in Texas and I LOVE it … it’s my favorite time of year! Those flowers are so neat and I love the tool. I’ve never seen that before! Thanks for linking up at Project Inspire{d}, Crystal!

• says

Anita » Hi Anita, I haven’t tried washing them. I would assume they’re like shirts with flowers on them from the store. They might get a little wrinkled? If I ever add them to shirts I’ll let you know my results. Thanks for stopping by! :)

• Anita says

Thank you Crystal! I’m off to find the flower tool to give it a whirl.
        If I get them on the t-shirts & washed, I’ll let you know too.

wow – these are super cool and very versatile. I can’t wait to go buy that tool. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Can’t wait to play

have a great Easter weekend

8. Dot Masker says

I liked them so much I went out and bought the tool. I’m anxious to see if I can make them. Thanks for sharing.

9. Dot StHilaire says

I really love those flowers and they look pretty easy.. what is the name of the flower making tool did I miss that? these would well for flip flops, head bands, bracelets, shirts a variety of things thanks.

• says

Dot StHilaire » Clover is the brand and they make several different flower shapes. You can find them in the sewing aisle at most craft sores. Thanks for stopping by, I hope that helps! :)

10. Kate says

Making small ones and atchting them to some wire or elastic band to make a flow crown? (With othter patterns and maybe other flowers?

11. Donna kintner says

Just got an iPad found out about all the crafts from the crafty ladies group at church . I love be getting the tool appreciate all the information.