Homemade Glow in the dark Slime Recipe

Homemade slime is an all time favorite around here. Whether you call it slime, gak, or putty this homemade glow in the dark slime recipe is a fun activity for kids that will keep them occupied for hours!

Glow in the dark Slime recipe

With the little guys Monsters University birthday party coming up this weekend we’ve been busy gathering all of our favorite monster party ideas for the big day. After watching the slime monster fall through the sewer grate in Monsters Inc I had the idea of making glow in the dark slime with the kids. The kids and I have been making slime for years but this was our first time trying glow in the dark slime..needless to say the kids LOVED it! We plan to make a few more batches later this week to give as party favors with one large googly eye in the center..fun, right?

slime recipeHomemade slime recipe

-makes about 2 cups

2 Elmer’s white glue bottles (4oz)
3-4 tablespoons glow in the dark paint
Water
Neon food coloring
1 teaspoon borax
1/2 cup warm water

Step one: Pour the white Elmer’s glue into a bowl. Fill the empty bottles with warm water, place the lids back on and shake the bottles (this will help remove any remaining glue inside the bottle and make it easy to measure your water). Pour the watery glue into the bowl and mix with a spoon.
Step two: At this point you want to add food coloring to your glue (I used a neon green from McCormick).

Step three: Stir in the glow in the dark paint into your glue mixture.

Step four: In a small bowl mix 1/2 cup of warm water with 1 teaspoon of Borax (the warm water will help dissolve the borax).

Step five: Mix the borax water and glue mixture together with a spoon, but but don’t be afraid to use your hands to fully mix the two together.

The special ingredient that makes the glue turn into slime is the borax. Play around with the amount to get the perfect consistency, if you prefer a runny slime use less borax. Also, when you first began mixing the glue and borax water the slime will be VERY runny and a weird texture, don’t freak out! The more you play with it the better the consistency will turn out.

glow in the dark crafts

In case you’re wondering I tried this recipe with two different glow in the dark paints. We preferred the one on the right from Americana but the Glo-It from DecoArt also worked well with smaller batches.

We also tried this recipe with glitter glue which my daughter loved! You can see the glitter specks in the glow in the dark picture below. The only downside to using the glow in the dark paint with the glitter glue is that it made the glue a milky color instead of being see-through like it normally is in the bottle.

glow in the dark slime

My kids love that they can shape it with their hands but if left alone it looks like spilled slime. Speaking of slime do you guys remember Nickelodeon’s slime? I may have been born in the 80s but I’m a 90s kid all the way! I always wanted to go on the Nickelodeon shows and get slimed, it always looked like fun! :)

More Halloween ideas for kids:

Frozen Elsa Pumpkin

Disney Frozen Elsa Pumpkin

Frozen Olaf Pumpkin

Disney Frozen Olaf Pumpkin

Glow in the dark slime

Thanks for stopping by!

Linking up here

Comments

Amber,
    I’m stopping by from The Inspiration Exchange today – this is such a cute idea. I’m doing a Monsters University post next week and will be featuring this! :)
    – Ang

This brings back SO many memories of being a Girl Scout leader!
    I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven’t already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Tuesday’s at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/.
    I would be honored if you join us and follow to stay connected Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs, Cathy

• says

nicolette @ momnivore’s dilemma » Nicolette!! How are you? It’s been far too long since we’ve chatted, I hope you’re doing well. :) Thanks for sharing! Hugs!

I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your slime! You can see it here:

If you have other kid-friendly crafts, we’d love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

My daughter just used some store bought glow in the dark slime at her OT appt the other day. She has been asking to buy some ever since… and even though it is the right time of year I cannot find it anywhere. You just helped me win the mother of the year award in this house! Thanks so much!!!

5. Muriel says

My 4th graders are requesting a Glow in the Dark activity. I have 35 students. How much does each batch make? I’m wondering how much glue, etc.. will need. Thanks !

6. Megan says

I love this idea! We are doing a Monster’s Inc. birthday party in a little over a week for my little guy too! Does the borax make it toxic or harmful to the skin?

7. Aimee says

I’m wondering how much of each ingredient I need to make this with 24 kids at a Halloween party? If I intend to send some home with each kid.

8. Monica says

If I were to make this for a class of 19 students…how much of each ingredient do you think I would need? lol. Or…to make things easier on you, could you tell me how many ounces of slime your recipe makes? I’ll adjust the recipe accordingly. haha. Thanks so much! Please send your response to my email address :)

9. Shannon says

How much does one batch of this make? It looks like it would be great for a class Halloween craft project. Thanks!

10. Gloria says

Just to clarify, are you saying to add the water that you shook in the 2 empty glue bottles then aditionally the 1/2 cup water mixed with the borax? So…the 8 oz. plus 1/2 cup total??

11. Amy says

Is borax like a washing machine powder? And is there any substitute, because I don’t think it available where I live.

12. C says

How much does this recipe make? If I want to make in class with 30 third graders, how long will it take approximately?

13. KJ says

Can I make this in paper bowls and can I half it? I’d like to make it with my scouts, but it looks like the recipe makes a lot per kiddo. Paper bowls are just easier fro clean up :-)

14. Dee says

I’m planning to use the small/mini mason jars. Approximately how much does this recipe make and how long does it take? Very cool project!

15. Stacey says

This is awesome!!! Another born in 80s, 90s girl here! I just have a question. How much does this make as is? I have four kids, is it enough to share or should I get enough to make four batches? Thank you!!! :)

16. Mary-Maureen Hardie says

Thanks so much for this slime project. I am especially happy to see you tell us the company for the food colour with as well as the name of the companies to get the Glow in The Dark PAINT from. Thanks so much. Maureen.

17. Aimee says

I am making this at my son’s Halloween party. I am trying to figure out how much of each ingredient I need if I want to give about a half cup of slime to each of the 24 children. Thanks!

18. Jenni says

I just made this for my toddlers monsters inc party. Found on Pinterest. Love it! Gave my toddlers some to sample. They were enthralled. Today is Friday, party is Sunday. Giving it as favors in small airtight containers. Any idea how long it will keep like this? It’ll still be good when Kurds take it home, right? Thanks for sharing!

• says

I too am wondering how long this will keep? I am hosting a halloween party, on a wednesday, but my schedule is quite busy with all the other prep. I suppose I could made a big batch and just wait to split it up until the day before.

• Crystal Owens says

Ami, as long as it’s in a closed container you won’t have a problem. It can last for months if the container is sealed. I hope you have a fun Halloween party!

Made this up yesterday with my grandkids, ages 7 & 3. So easy to do, each got a turn at mixing up their own batch! They absolutely love it and played with it non-stop for almost 3 hours just sitting around the kitchen table! Will certainly make more.

20. Ashley says

Is this something that can be molded with hands and it retain it’s shaped or is this one that will stick to hands and be runny? I’m only wondering because it think I want to make it if it so something less runny and something he can take out again and again.

Great recipe, but I’m not impressed with Martha Stewart’s glow in the dark paint. Or I’m not using enough. Next time I will use the Americana brand and order it online since Michael’s was out.